Demosthenian Hall - University of Georgia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 33° 57.408 W 083° 22.506
17S E 280529 N 3759907
Quick Description: One of many historic buildings on this historic downtown Athens campus.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 9/8/2009 10:07:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM76AM
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Demosthenian Hall, a small, square, two-story structure of cement-covered brick with a plain elliptical-arch doorway and central Palladian window, was completed in 1824. the ceiling of the upper floor is designed in the Christopher Wren manner, with a beautiful central medallion and molded plaster frieze. The hall houses the university's first literary society, founded in 1803. The Demosthenian Society evolved a custom of making famous men honorary members, and its membership included Andrew Johnson, Henry Clay, and William Cullen Bryant.
During the first half of the nineteenth century literary societies had an importance somewhat comparable to that of modern football teams. Rigid rules governed the meetings, and fines ranged from twenty-five cents to two dollars were imposed upon debaters for eating, standing before the fire, or pulling a fellow member's coattail. Crawford Long, the first physician to use ether in an operation, Robert toombs, the fiery Confederate orator, and Henry Timrod, the poet, all were punished for infractions during their student days."
--Georgia: a Guide to its Cities and Countryside, 1940
-----
The building stands much as described. It is also another that is sometime open for the public to enter during special functions. Below is a link to the society's site and the Wikipedia article on them.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demosthenian_Literary_Society)

Society (http://www.uga.edu/demsoc/thehall.htm), source of:

Demosthenian Hall is the fourth oldest building at the University of Georgia and was placed on the National Register for Historic Places in 1971. Constructed in 1824 by Dr. James Tinsley of Columbia County, Demosthenian Hall has become the physical expression of a living tradition which binds generations of students. The Society's minutes show that by September 5, 1829, the building's $4,000 construction cost had been completely paid off. The construction was financed by the Society's members, alumni, and friends.

Located on the University of Georgia's historic north quadrangle, its facade in the formal Federal style forms a pleasing contrast to the later columned Greek revival structures which surround it. The front is graced with a palladian window over a light doorway. The exterior walls are two feet thick and are of stucco over brick construction.

The upper chamber is the meeting room of the Society. The speaker's desk has been dated to the 1820's and may have been built for the Hall. The stump beneath the lectern is stood upon by members seeking office in the Society and was cut from the trunk of the Toombs' oak.

While a student at the University, Robert Toombs managed to break most of the rules. Finally, in exasperation, University officials expelled him in 1828 several months prior to graduation. While commencement exercises were underway in the Chapel, he began to hold forth in true Demosthenian fashion under an oak tree located in front of the Chapel. He spoke with such fire and enthusiasm that he succeeded in emptying the Chapel. Legend says the tree was struck by lightning the day Robert Toombs passed away.

The simplicity of the carved mantels, window moldings, doors and deep paneled wainscoting emphasizes the drama of the ornate plasterwork ceiling medallion which is based on a template designed by Asher Benjamin. It is a medallion of holly leaves surrounded by swags of smaller leaves which are framed by a delicate filigree. This ceiling is one of the most architecturally significant structures at the University of Georgia and is one of the few remaining examples of this form of decorative artwork.

In 1997, Demosthenian Hall received a $200,000 facelift. Financed primarily by alumni donations and conducted by the architectural firm Serber and Barber, the construction work restored the ceiling medallion and the rest of the Upper Chamber to its original 1824 layout and color scheme. The original hard wood floors were uncovered and restored in the Lower Chamber.

Book: Georgia

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 152

Year Originally Published: 1940

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
littleblkdog visited Demosthenian Hall - University of Georgia 9/4/2021 littleblkdog visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited Demosthenian Hall - University of Georgia 7/3/2009 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs