By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

New Harmony Labyrinth
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member Camping Hoosiers
N 38° 07.338 W 087° 56.170
16S E 417942 N 4219798
Quick Description: The present day Labyrinth, located on Rt. 69 south side of town, was reconstructed between 1939-41 on the site adjacent to the original Labyrinth. It is planted in accordance with a Harmony Society plan in concentric circles of privet hedge leading to a stone temple in the center.
Location: Indiana, United States
Date Posted: 8/17/2005 5:47:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM74
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Jeremy
Views: 95

Long Description:
The Harmonists planted labyrinths at each of their three settlements (Harmonie and Old Economy in Pennsylvania and Neu Harmonie in Indiana.) The original Labyrinth in New Harmony was made of bushes, vines and flowering plants and designed as a place of contemplation and meditation for the Harmonists. The route through the maze was not an easy one. For the Harmonists it symbolized the difficult path of life to reach true harmony and perfection. In the center of the Labyrinth was a circular rough log house with a "blind door" opening to an elegant and peaceful interior. When the Harmonists sold the town in 1825 and returned to Pennsylvania, the Labyrinth fell into disrepair and eventually ceased to exist.

The site is open admission-free year round. It is one of the properties of New Harmony State Historic Site.

Maze Type: Hedge Maze

Directions: Located on Rt. 69 south side of New Harmony Indiana

Admission (Adult): 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Admission (Child): 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Location:
New Harmony, IN USA


Dates Available: From: 1/1/2005 To: 12/31/2005

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Outdoor Mazes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point