El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 27° 57.621 W 082° 26.506
17R E 358181 N 3093646
Quick Description: Historic building now part of the Centro Ybor shopping and entertainment district.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 8/11/2009 8:48:47 AM
Waymark Code: WM6ZV8
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 9

Long Description:
?Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Espanol was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while supplying social privileges and death and injury benefits. Financed by stock pledges of $10 each by the original 186 Charter Members, the society opened the first club building in June 1892 on land purchased by Ignacio Haya at 16th Street and 7th Avenue. The membership soon outgrew the original building. By 1909 club officers embarked on a building campaign to build two new clubhouses ? one in Ybor City and one to accommodate members in West Tampa. Completed in 1912, El Centro Espanol de Tampa sits on the site of the original structure on 7th Avenue. The long, two-story rectangular building houses a cantina and ballroom at its south end separated by a foyer and stair hall from the theater at its north end. The parapet of the stage house steps above the roof line of the main building at the north end of the site. The red brick edifice reflects the French Renaissance Revival style with Moorish and Spanish influence. In 1988 the Department of the Interior designated El Centro Espanol de Tampa a National Historic Landmark.

THE YBOR CITY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
-----
El Centro Español de Tampa
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--
The El Centro Español de Tampa building in Ybor City, Tampa, Florida was the home of the first mutual aid society in Florida.

After being abandoned for several years, it was restored and is now part of the Centro Ybor entertainment complex. On June 3, 1988, it was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark. It is located at 1526-1536 E. Seventh Avenue.

(visit link)
Street address:
1526--1536 E. Seventh Ave.
Tampa, FL usa
00000


County / Borough / Parish: Hillsborough

Year listed: 1988

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Historic function: Social: Clubhouse

Current function: Vacant

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
RBCT109 visited El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL 12/31/2012 RBCT109 visited it
petendot visited El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL 1/17/2012 petendot visited it
nomadwillie wrote comment for El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL 8/29/2009 nomadwillie wrote comment for it
ChapterhouseInc visited El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL 8/9/2009 ChapterhouseInc visited it
nomadwillie visited El Centro Espanol de Tampa - FL 5/16/2009 nomadwillie visited it

View all visits/logs