Aquia Creek Landing
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member La de Boheme
N 38° 22.905 W 077° 19.166
18S E 297407 N 4250719
Quick Description: Aquia Landing was the site of one of the war’s earliest military engagements and became a major supply base for the Union army in three separate campaigns.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 7/27/2009 3:18:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM6WAG
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 9

Long Description:
In the mid 1800s, Aquia Landing, a peninsula that sits where Aquia Creek flows into the Potomac River, was the terminus for the Richmond, Fredericksburg, & Potomac Railroad and the rail-to-steamboat connection for travelers between Richmond, VA and Washington, D.C.

Following Virginia’s secession in 1861, the Confederates built gun emplacements along the heights above the landing to protect the railroad and keep the Union army from coming ashore. U.S. Navy gunboats and Confederate artillery exchanged fire on May 31 and June 1 during one of the first military engagementsClick here for related waymark of the Civil War. This also was when the first torpedoClick here for related waymark was used.

The posted GPS coordinates are at the location of the Patawomeck Band Memorial Park where a Civil War Trail interpretive sign Aquia Landing - The Railroad stands at the entrance. Follow the trail to the right to the location of the Confederate gun emplacements that overlooked the Potomac River and where 4 cannons fired upon the U.S. Navy. Another Civil Wars Trail sign Aquia Landing - Naval Engagement and a Battle of Aquia Landing sign stand at N 38° 22.895 W 077° 19.150. Ultimately, the exchange of gunfire had little lasting effect on the war.

The Confederates abandoned the site in 1862 and destroyed the railroad and wharves. The Union moved in and rebuilt the facilities, but destroyed them again when they evacuated the area in September 1862. In November, the Union army under Gen. Burnside, rebuilt Aquia Landing yet again to use as a supply depot for the Fredericksburg campaign. When they left in June 1863 to march to Gettysburg, this time the Confederates destroyed it. The Union rebuilt it in May 1864, but abandoned it for supply bases further south. The Confederates destroyed it again and this time, it was not rebuilt. Aquia Landing had also been used to move troops as well as supplies.

Another Civil War Trail interpretive sign Aquia Landing - Supply Base for the Union Army is at the end of the road (N 38° 23.382 W 077° 18.967) where the railroad used to run on Aquia Landing.

Today, Aquia Landing is a waterfront park open year-round to the public. Other than the interpretive signs, little evidence remains of the railroad.

Type of site: Transportation Route or Facility

Brooke Road
Stafford, VA USA

Phone Number: 540-658-8681

Admission Charged: No Charge

Website: [Web Link]

Driving Directions:
From I-95 in Stafford, take Exit 140 to Rt. 630/Courthouse Road East. Proceed 2.7 miles to Rt. 629/Andrew Chapel Road, turn right, travel 0.8 miles and turn left on Rt. 608/Brooke Road.

Visit Instructions:
Post a picture of site showing the signage or other notable feature. Please tell what you saw or learned.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil War Discovery Trail Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.