Athens Historic District - KY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
N 37° 56.974 W 084° 21.878
16S E 731556 N 4203495
Quick Description: Most of Athens (said locally with a long "A" sound) was destroyed by fire over 150 years ago, but a few buildings still remain in this very small rural town.
Location: Kentucky, United States
Date Posted: 6/29/2009 7:24:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM6P63
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 4

Long Description:
Per the new NPS travel website (secondary link below): "The Athens Historic District contains the remaining buildings of an early 19th century village established in the southernmost part of Fayette County. The village is located in the heart of the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky. In 1775 a fort was established by Daniel Boone one-half mile west of present day Athens. The community of Cross Plains was founded in 1783 and renamed Athens in 1825 after the Kentucky General Assembly chartered the town. During the early 19th century the community boasted several manufacturing industries including a woolen factory as well as a bagging and rope factory. By 1860 all of the manufacturing buildings had been destroyed by fire. Local historian Robert Peter described why the buildings were not rebuilt in Athens: "Several destructive fires for so small a place have visited Athens during the course of its eventful career. In 1853-54 all the business houses on the south side of Main Street, west of the Cleveland pike were swept away in a single blaze. The buildings consumed were the Bledsoe Hotel, Harvey Nelson's dry goods store, John Donnally's store, a shoemaker's shop and a few dwellings." This description of the fires that destroyed the main part of the town attests to how large and thriving the community of Athens was in the early part of the 19th century."
"There are still several buildings remaining in Athens for its early history. The Dr. Parker House is a two-story log and frame building erected between 1780 and 1820. There is also a second log building that has been covered by clapboards adjacent to the Dr. Parker House. Built during the 1780s, this could be the oldest building in Athens still standing. The Marshall Tavern is a brick building that served as an inn and was built around 1840. The Aubrey Inn, built c.1800, stands at the corner of Main and Cleveland Road. Across the street from the tavern is the building that formerly housed Flannery's store. These buildings have mostly been converted to residential dwellings and there are few buildings that still serve a commercial functions."

Came to a wedding in the area two decades ago for a co-op student at Eastman Chemical Company, but had not been back since until decided to head to the nearby fort.

Street address:
Athens-Boonesboro Pike
south of the intersection of Athens-Boonesboro Rd. and Interstate 75 at exit 104
Athens, KY USA
40509


County / Borough / Parish: Fayette County

Year listed: 1979

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1825-1849,1800-1824,1750-1799

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic

Current function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic

Privately owned?: yes

Season start / Season finish: From: 1/1/2009 To: 12/31/2009

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.