Central Park Bandshell, Red Wing, MN
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member willrock60
N 44° 33.777 W 092° 32.094
15T E 536934 N 4934506
Quick Description: The Central Park Bandshell, compeleted in late June, 2009, is a gift to the city of Red Wing by the Jones Family Foundation and was designed and built with state-of-the-art acoustics.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 6/24/2009 3:31:22 PM
Waymark Code: WM6N73
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member JIMBOBWE
Views: 5

Long Description:
The Central Park Bandshell, compeleted in late June, 2009, is a gift to the city of Red Wing by the Jones Family Foundation, and was designed by architectural firm Bentz, Thompson & Rietow and built with state-of-the-art acoustics, which make it more capable of supporting today’s entertainment needs.
According to Scott Jones, Chairperson of the Jones Family Foundation, “The goal of the project is to transform this underutilized park into an area filled with vitality and activity…for Central Park to become Red Wing’s ‘Community Living Room’.” The improvements broaden the range of events that can be held at the park and provide entertainers protection from the elements.
The Central Park Renovations Committee has thoughtfully chosen design elements to maintain the same welcoming atmosphere as the original park had while making it more user-friendly and fitting into the surrounding historic neighborhood. The new design also meets the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements and promotes a higher level of activity in the area by breathing new life into a park that is no longer being used the way it once was.
City staff and the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC) worked with the Jones Family Foundation to evaluate the existing facilities at the park and options for the renovation since
October 2006. The Central Park Renovations Committee consisted of HPC members, city staff and the mayor who represented the best interests of the community in the development of the new parkplan.
The committee played a significant role in developing the design and recommended the design to the HPC for approval in July. The renovations were planned and funded by the Jones Family Foundation as their gift to the community.
Central Park was the original location of Hamline University which stood at the southern end of the present park. Hamline opened in 1856 and relocated to St. Paul in 1869. The City of Red Wing
purchased the Hamline block in 1871 to establish a park there. The (former)bandstand and balustrade located in the park were built from local limestone. The limestone look was incorporated into the
new design. The south balustrade was constructed in 1880 and the north bandstand was built in
1932. The wall of the south balustrade was restored in 1988.
Check here if the structure has a roof (required for posting): yes

Check here if the structure is enclosed or mostly enclosed on three sides (required for posting): yes

Bandshell Webpage: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

When visiting a waymark, please take pictures that clearly show the bandshell. If you have pictures with yourself in the bandshell, that would be great too. Also, tell us a little about your visit. It's optional, but if you attended a performance here, tell us about it.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bandshells
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.