Long Meadow Pinnacle at Appleton Farms
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member bctrail
N 42° 39.047 W 070° 51.191
19T E 348095 N 4723700
Quick Description: A pinnacle removed from Gore Hall at Harvard University prior to demolition ca 1912, now located on Appleton Farms in Ipswich, Massachusetts, and dedicated to Francis R Appleton, Sr (1854-1929).
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2009 12:18:15 PM
Waymark Code: WM6FJ2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member QuesterMark
Views: 13

Long Description:
This pinnacle was removed from Gore Hall (the library) at Harvard University about 1912. Gore Hall was to be demolished to make room for the new Widener Library [Sound familiar? some things never change]. Four pinnacles were given to Francis R Appleton, Sr, the library chairman at that time. They are nine feet tall (not including the base), and are made of Quincy (MA) granite. See the gallery for a photo of Gore Hall.

These pinnacles have been erected around the former Appleton family estate in Hamilton and Ipswich, Massachusetts. Each pinnacle is dedicated to the memory of a family member. The property, now owned by The Trustees of Reservations (TTOR), consists of Appleton Farms (658 acres) and the Appleton Farms Grass Rides (259 acres).

This pinnacle, the second of the four to be erected, is located in Long Meadow, and is near the east end of a long, relatively narrow clearing in a forest of very tall white pines. The pines were planted by Francis R Appleton, Sr, and his wife Joan to reduce the impact of the RR on their view from the New House. The narrow opening through the pines points directly toward the New House site, so that the pinnacle can easily be seem from that location 1/4 mile away. The pinnacle is dedicated to Francis R Appleton, Sr (1854-1929).

The first pinnacle to be erected is located at Round Point in the Grass Rides, and is dedicated to Charles L Appleton (1886-1921), the son of Francis R Appleton, Sr.

The third pinnacle to be erected is waymarked as Fourth Pinnacle. It is dedicated to Fanny L Appleton (1864-1958), wife of Francis R Appleton, Sr.

The last pinnacle to be erected is located on Pigeon Hill and is dedicated to Francis R Appleton, Jr (1885-1974), the son of Francis R Appleton, Sr.

All the pinnacles can be reached by well maintained trails from either of the two visitor parking areas: one on Highland Street just north of the Cutler Road intersection, and one at the corner of Waldingfield Road and Route 1A. Be sure to get a trail map, either from the web sites above, or at the parking area. There are many more waymarks on the Farms property. See the "Nearest Waymarks" link near the bottom of this page. There are also at least four geocaches. Enjoy the "Farms". Its a great place to visit.
Type: Remnant

Fee: No, if TTOR member, else $3 daily fee.

Hours:
Sunrise to sunset.


Related URL: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
NewEnglandHiker visited Long Meadow Pinnacle at Appleton Farms 8/11/2012 NewEnglandHiker visited it