Ebenezer Methodist Church - Chuckey, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
N 36° 11.404 W 082° 41.589
17S E 347760 N 4006358
Quick Description: Ebenezer was the first Methodist group organized in Tennessee in 1795
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 5/20/2009 5:43:01 PM
Waymark Code: WM6E7J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Bear and Ragged
Views: 4

Long Description:
From TNGenWeb project (link), "The first Methodist society in the State was organized in this county. It was named Ebenezer, and was established in the Earnest neighborhood some time about 1790. This neighborhood is on the Nolachucky River, opposite the present Fullen’s Depot. Henry Earnest located there in 1778 or 1779. He was the father of five sons and six daughters, and it is said that his wife with the children constituted four fifths of the membership of the new church. The first church building was erected prior to 1795, as in that year the Western Conference held its annual meeting there. From this time for several years this church seems to have been a favorite meeting place of the conference, that body having convened there in 1801, 1805, 1807 and 1822. One of the largest camp-grounds ever built within the bounds of the Holston Conference was erected about one and one-half miles from Ebenezer, near what is now Henderson’s Depot. It was used for many years and was not abandoned until the civil war. It was known as Stone Dam Camp-ground. "
Active church?: Yes

Service times:
1st & 3rd Sundays at 11AM


Year Built: Not listed

Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

At least one photo. You're welcome to be in the picture, but please, No GPSr.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Methodist Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.