"The Bells of St Mary's" - Burlington, NJ
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member 94RedRover
N 40° 04.612 W 074° 51.698
18T E 511797 N 4436297
Quick Description: On West Broad Street in Historic Burlington, New Jersey, New St. Mary's Episcopal Church, completed in 1854, cannot be mistaken. The hand-rung 8-bell carillon tower reaches over 160 feet.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 4/17/2009 5:59:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM67EA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member scrambler390
Views: 8

Long Description:
In 1695, settlers of Burlington, New Jersey acquired land for a cemetery on the corner of West Broad and Wood Streets. St. Mary's Episcopal Church was built there in 1703, making it the oldest Episcopal church in New Jersey.

By the mid-1800's, the original St Mary's became too small for the congregation. The New St. Mary's Episcopal Church, completed in 1854, was designed by Richard Upjohn, in a Gothic Revival style, and is one of the the earliest cruciform structures in America. The new church was added to the National register of Historic Places on May 31, 1972, and was declared a National Historic Landmark on June 24, 1986.

The 8 hand-rung carillion bells were cast in London and set in the steeple in 1866. The bells were first rung Easter Day, 1866. As the bells are still hand-rung, the ringing team is currently inactive.

From the Parish of St. Mary's website..inscriptions on each of the eigh bells.

"The first and largest bell, weighing 2,800 pounds, is inscribed: This peal of eight bells is the gift of Margaret S. and Mary McIlvaine to S. Mary's Church, Burlington, New Jersey, Christmas, A.D. 1863. Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

The second bell is the Bishop's Bell: In memory of George Washington Doane, Second Bishop of New Jersey. The glorious company of the Apostles praise thee.

The third bell is the Rector's Bell: O ye Priests of the Lord, bless ye the Lord, praise Him and magnify Him forever.

The fourth bell is the People's Bell: O ye servants of the Lord, bless ye the Lord, praise Him and magnify Him forever.

The fifth bell is the Thanksgiving Bell: My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord, and let all flesh give thanks unto His holy Name forever and ever.

The sixth bell, the Funeral Bell, bears the inscription: O ye spirits and souls of the righteous, bless ye the Lord, praise Him, and magnify Him forever.

The Marriage (seventh) Bell bears Those whom God hath joined together let not man put asunder.

The eighth bell is called the Patriot's Bell: Give peace in our time, O Lord."
Location:
145 West Broad St
Burlington, NJ USA
08016


Who controls the carillon?: St Mary's Parish

Number of bells: 8

Schedule of regular public performances:
Currently inactive


Year of construction: 01/01/1865

Structure: Church Steeple

Location web page: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
An original photograph of the carillon is required. One of you and your crew doing your very best imitation of Quasimodo and/or Esmeralda will be most appreciated.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Carillon
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
STLbells wrote comment for "The Bells of St Mary's" - Burlington, NJ 4/30/2018 STLbells wrote comment for it