By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Andrews Memorial Chapel - Dunedin, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member debbado
N 28° 02.072 W 082° 47.050
17R E 324616 N 3102311
Quick Description: This church was built in 1888. It was originally located where Dunedin Cemetery is now. It was moved in 1970 and restored in 1974.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/21/2009 2:34:28 PM
Waymark Code: WM62C3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Crystal Sound
Views: 2

Long Description:
The following Information was taken from (visit link)
Andrews Memorial Chapel is a beautiful example of Early Florida Victorian architecture, and has a wonderful history behind it.

In 1871 a group under the leadership of Rev. Joseph Brown organized the Bethesda Presbyterian Church. Many people played a role in the construction of the church. In 1876 B M Brown (one of the original 12 Dunedin homesteaders), and the Emerson family donated land for the construction of a house of worship. Before the church was built, John G Andrews lost his son William when he died while riding a horse in a violent storm. Mr. Andrews pledged $200 to the construction costs of the church provided that it be named Andrews Memorial Church in memory of his late son. Then Mr. Alexander Anderson willed his entire estate to the church, and the building was paid off. The original site of the church is the present location of the Dunedin Cemetery.

The population shifted toward the downtown area, and in 1888 a new church was completed on the corner of Scotland Street and Highland Avenue. The name was transferred to this new church, which is the current chapel building. This is one of the oldest remaining church buildings in the area. In the early part of 1926 the Andrews Memorial Church became Andrews Memorial Chapel and was moved south on Highland Ave to make room for the present Presbyterian church.

In 1970, the church was saved from destruction by the Dunedin Historical Society by relocating it to its present location at the entrance to Hammock Park. The building was literally cut in half in order to move it, and restoration began in 1974. At that time, the chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

The building has a charming Victorian style, and is the perfect place for that perfect wedding. Constructed of Florida heart of pine, it has 2 foyers with Gothic archways leading into the sanctuary. The nautical appearing beamed ceiling, styled like a ships bottom, is completely hand carved. The pews, also hand carved, are 17 feet long and were built in the late 1800's, and the stained glass window over the pulpit is the original.
________________________________________________________________________________________
This church can be reserved for weddings or various other programs including concerts, lectures, funerals, christenings, memorials, educational programs and meetings by calling 727-529-9233 or send an email to DUNHIST@compuserve.com

Original Location: N 28° 00.495 W 082° 45.786

How it was moved: Wheels / Dolly / Truck

Type of move: Inside City

Building Status: Private

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
shortsaler visited Andrews Memorial Chapel - Dunedin, FL 7/13/2013 shortsaler visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited Andrews Memorial Chapel - Dunedin, FL 5/2/2009 ChapterhouseInc visited it
debbado visited Andrews Memorial Chapel - Dunedin, FL 3/21/2009 debbado visited it

View all visits/logs