By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

H.C. Smith Store - Heritage Village - Largo, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ChapterhouseInc
N 27° 52.944 W 082° 48.680
17R E 321695 N 3085493
Quick Description: One of many relocated items at this historical park.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 2/2/2009 10:47:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM5QDD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Crystal Sound
Views: 8

Long Description:
Between 1900 and 1920, St Petersburg's population soared from 1,575 to more than 14,000. This store opened in the Mound Park neighborhood to serve the blossoming nearby communities like Rosser Park. Shoppers came to this small store because it had at all--groceries, clothing and other necessities. From 1915 to 1955 this building had different owners and names and for most years, thrived. By the 1950s, small stores like this struggled to compete as shoppers flocked to downtown stores or air conditioned shopping centers and later to meag malls.

Customers shopped the various buisnesses in this building for 40 years. Known as H.C. Smith's Grocery during its early years, other merchants name it South Side Grocery, Sixth Avenue Food Shop and Bill's Grocery. The smaller portion of the building had a seperate buisness for some years with a butcher shop and bakery and at other times was home to those who ran the grocery store.

Fourth Street, one block east of the store, became the main north-south roadway with the opening of Gandy Bridge between St Petersburg and Tampa in 1924. Considering that Charles Preston purchased the building in 1935 for $3,000 (a sizable amount of money at the height of the Great Depression) this store likely recieved plenty of buisness from the increased traffic.

By the mid 1950s, this neighborhood grocery store had outlived its time. Trends shifted to larger stores downtown, new suburban developments and new shopping patterns. A complicating factor was Webb's City. James Earl 'Doc' Webb opened a small downtown pharmacy in the early 1920s that by 1945 mushroomed into Webb's City, the "World's Most Unusual Drugstore," occupying multiple city blocks. Merchants without 'Doc's' flair could not compete.
Type of move: City to City

Building Status: Public

Related Website: [Web Link]

Original Location: Not Listed

How it was moved: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
greenparrot visited H.C. Smith Store - Heritage Village - Largo, FL 11/8/2012 greenparrot visited it
debbado visited H.C. Smith Store - Heritage Village - Largo, FL 2/7/2009 debbado visited it
ChapterhouseInc visited H.C. Smith Store - Heritage Village - Largo, FL 1/31/2009 ChapterhouseInc visited it

View all visits/logs