Bispham--Wilson Historic District - Sarasota, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member lazyCachers
N 27° 17.213 W 082° 31.840
17R E 348511 N 3019138
Quick Description: Located on US 41 at the site of the Historic Bispham Dairy in Sarasota, Florida.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 1/12/2009 8:43:59 PM
Waymark Code: WM5JCC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 14

Long Description:
The nearby marker states:

Jackson and Katherine Bispham started a dairy in 1922 north of Sarasota with Sarasota County Dairy Permit #2. Later that year Bispham moved his operation to the area of present South Tamiami Trail and Fiesta Street, named it Bayside Dairy, and rented the existing farmhouse. In 1927 he purchased the farmhouse and 20 acres on the west side of the Trail. For a quart of milk a day the Bisphams also rented land around Oyster Bay and Field Road.

The bottles and dairy equipment were washed in a wood-fueled steam-powered bottle washer and sterilized in a steam chest. An electric pump pushed water through a cooler to chill the bottled milk. In the late 1930s the dairy converted to electricity. Hand milking and deliveries occurred morning and night; therefore, the hired help lived at the farmhouse. Workers were paid $1 a day plus room and board.

In the early 1940s Bispham purchased his first milking machines and pasteurizer. The first bottler filled two bottles at a time and covered them with paper caps. Later the bottles were covered with a metal cap. Three kinds of milk were available: "raw", pasteurized, and homogenized.

As refrigerators became more available, milk delivery became once a day. During World War II, delivery became every other day. The dairy also processed and delivered light cream, heavy cream, chocolate milk, buttermilk, orangeade, grapeade, grapefruit juice, and pineapple juice.

By 1950, Bayside Dairy had approximately 125 producing cows in an area increasingly pressed by development. The Bisphams sold their land on South Tamiami Trail and moved their operation to 420 acres in the Gulf Gate area (near present Bispham Road) that they had purchased in 1941.

By 1957, Bayside Dairy moved once again, this time to Ibis Street off Clark Road. At this location the Bisphams purchased their first automatic milking parlor equipment, which milked six cows at a time. By the mid-1970s, two men could milk 100 cows an hour.

Bayside Dairy, with approximately 850 cows and 15 employees, ceased operation in 1987. It was no longer profitable to use the land for dairy operation. Instead, the Bispham family developed the land into the Serenoa subdivision and golf course.

Street address:
4613 S. Tamiaimi Trail
Sarasota, FL USA
34231


County / Borough / Parish: Sarasota

Year listed: 2002

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1950-1974

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic

Current function: Commerce/Trade, Education

Privately owned?: yes

Hours of operation: From: 9:30 AM To: 5:30 PM

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Saxo-fun visited Bispham--Wilson Historic District  - Sarasota, FL 5/2/2019 Saxo-fun visited it
debbado visited Bispham--Wilson Historic District  - Sarasota, FL 10/6/2012 debbado visited it
BONSAIRAD visited Bispham--Wilson Historic District  - Sarasota, FL 2/21/2010 BONSAIRAD visited it
lazyCachers visited Bispham--Wilson Historic District  - Sarasota, FL 9/1/2008 lazyCachers visited it

View all visits/logs