Site of Blackiston Methodist Church (KC-74) - Clayton, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ODragon
N 39° 15.741 W 075° 44.271
18S E 436344 N 4346149
Quick Description: A local society of Methodists...
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 1/3/2009 7:58:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM5G89
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 10

Long Description:
A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was


then constructed and named Blackiston’s Chapel, to honor the family that provided the site. For many years it was the largest Methodist church on the Delmarva Peninsula. Many of the pioneers of Methodism visited here to preach. In 1847, the old church was moved and a new one was erected in its place. This building continued to stand until it was dismantled following a damaging storm in 1980.

KC-74

LOCATION: Corner of Route 6 and Blackiston Cemetery Road, west of Blackiston Crossroads
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.