Mount Ida - Kingsport, TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
N 36° 33.452 W 082° 34.173
17S E 359537 N 4046935
Historic district of mostly small red brick homes established on "Mount Ida" farm.
Waymark Code: WM4Z2A
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 10/16/2008
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 4

In 1847, David Sevier purchased "Mount Ida," a log house built about 1790. In 1884, the large 2-story brick house was constructed. This farm became the Mt Ida historical district with the Sevier Terrace neighborhood.

From the NRHP application (Secondary Website 1 below), we learn that its significance is:
Nearly one hundred years separate the building of the two houses on the Mount Ida complex. Together they reflect the settlement and development of the Kingsport area, not only through their architectural differences but also through their association with important families and a major industry.

The land was originally part of the 1280 acre land grant belonging to Christian Rhodes and James Menefee, who sold the property in 1790, along with other acreage, to David Ross of Carolina County, Virginia. Ross’s agents immediate came to the area to establish the “Great Furnace” and forge on the North Fork of the Holston River. The land purchased by Ross became known as “the furnace tract,” and by 1795, the furnace is indicated on a map of North Carolina. Ross’s agents, who managed his furnace and other extensive business ventures, lived in the nearby log building at Mount Ida, named for Ross’s Virginia home.

Ross’s heirs owned the property until 1847, when it was sold to David Sevier. Sevier, a successful farmer, financier, and landholder, built the red brick house in 1884, at which time the log building was moved. His wife, Annis Netherland, was a member of another influential early family in the Kingsport area: the Netherland Inn, listed on the National Register, belonged to her grandfather. Mr. and Mrs. Sevier and other members of their family are buried at Mount Ida near the brick house. Sevier heirs stil own the property [statement made in 1972], of which the log house is thought to be the oldest building standing in Kingsport.

Covering register listings #73001844 and #91000817. The latter appears to be giving more definition of the district for local regulation.

From book "Kingsport Heritage: The Early Years 1700 to 1900", we learn that Ross's Great Furnace was located on fall of Furnace Creek that flows into Reedy Creek - roughly where Super 8 Motel is located today in Transbarger Hollow.

Street address:
1010 Sevier Terrace
Kingsport, TN USA

County / Borough / Parish: Sullivan County

Year listed: 1973

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event

Periods of significance: 1750-1799, 1875-1899

Historic function: Domestic

Current function: Domestic

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.