Chatham Artillery's "Washington's Guns" - Savannah, GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member onfire4jesus
N 32° 04.853 W 081° 05.426
17S E 491465 N 3549404
Quick Description: These cannon were presented to the Chatham Artillery by President Washington after his visit to Savannah in 1791. They are located in a park just east of City Hall on Bay Street in Savannah, GA.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 6/12/2008 1:41:29 PM
Waymark Code: WM3ZMF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member cachegame
Views: 38

Long Description:

Historical Marker GHM 025-53 reads:

These bronze cannon were presented to the Chatham Artillery by President Washington after his visit to Savannah in 1791. Of English and French make, respectively, they are excellent examples of the art of ordnance manufacture in the 18th century.

An inscription on the British 6 pounder states that it was "surrendered by the capitulation of York Town Oct. 19, 1781." The English cannon was cast in 1758 during the reign of George II and the royal insignia and motto of the Order of the Garter appear on its barrel.

The French gun was manufactured at Strasburg in 1756. On its elaborately engraved barrel appear the coat of arms of Louis XIV: the sun which was the emblem of that monarch, and a Latin inscription (which Louis XIV first ordered placed on French cannon) meaning "Last Argument of Kings." The dolphins were emblematic of the Dauphin of France.

The gun was individually named "La Populaire." Reminders of America's hard-won struggle for Independence and of the great man who led the Continental forces in the Revolution, the historic "Washington Guns" were placed on public display here through co-operation of the Chatham Artillery and the City of Savannah.

Historical Marker GHM 025-54 reads:

"These cannon, which were captured when Lord Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown in the American Revolution, were a gift to the Chatham Artillery by President George Washington -- a mark of his appreciation for the part the local military company played in the celebration of his visit to Savannah in May, 1791. Washington commended the Chatham Artillery in "warmest terms" and at one of the functions in his honor (which took place on the river bluff east of this spot) proposed a toast "to the present dexterous Corps of Artillery."

The "Washington Guns" have thundered a welcome to many distinguished visitors to Savannah, including James Monroe, the Marquis de Lafayette, James K. Polk, Millard Fillmore, Chester A. Arthur, Jefferson Davis, Grover Cleveland, William McKinley, William H. Taft, and Franklin D. Roosevelt.

During the War Between the States the historic cannon were buried for safety beneath the Chatham Artillery armory and were not removed until 1872 when the Federal occupation troops had departed.

The "Washington Guns" were taken to Yorktown in 1881 by a contingent of the Chatham Artillery and led the parade at the centennial celebration of Cornwallis' surrender.

What type of artillery is this?: British 6 pound cannon and French cannon

Where is this artillery located?: Park

What military of the world used this device?: British and French

Date artillery was in use: 10/19/1781

Date artillery was placed on display: 01/01/1792

Cost?: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Still may work: yes

Are there any geocaches at this location?:
Washington's neighbors - a virtual cache.


Parking location to view this Waymark: Not Listed

Artillery is no longer operational: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Two pictures are required for this Waymark. Please take a close up picture of the artillery. Take a second with the artillery in the distance and capture as much of the surroundings as possible. Name the Waymark with first the name of the area and second what the artillery is. An example would be if it were a cannon in front of the Montgomery Armory you would name the Waymark: Montgomery Armory Cannon.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Static Artillery Displays
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point