By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

High Springs, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 29° 49.654 W 082° 35.888
17R E 345587 N 3300749
Quick Description: High Springs, voted the "Friendliest Small Town" in Florida, is located halfway between Gainesville and Lake City.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/7/2008 6:52:08 AM
Waymark Code: WM3AW5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 39

Long Description:
According to the City of High Springs website: "The population of the city of High Springs is approximately 3,600. When including the surrounding areas, population rises to about 9,000. The city is governed by a mayor and four Commissioners. Our City Hall houses all city related services: water, garbage collection, code enforcement, and a County Tag office."

A historical marker located in front of the City Hall provides the following history of High Springs: "The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English speaking people during the late 1830's. One of the earliest settlements `in the vicinity was a Crockett Springs, located about three miles east of present day High Springs. Settlers who were living there during the 1840's included Fernando Underwood and Marshal Blanton. No town developed in the area before the latter part of the nineteenth century. In 1884, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad was extended from Live Oak to Gainesville. A post office and station were established here in that year under the name of Stantaffey, which was a common spelling of the name of the nearby Santa Fe River. The town was also known unofficially as Orion before the name was changed in 1880 to High Springs. In the next few years, high Springs boomed as a result of the development of phosphate mining in the area. In 1892, the town was incorporated. During the next year, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad completed its South Florida Division which connected High Springs with Port Tampa. By the beginning of the twentieth century, High Springs was known as an important railroad center. In later years, High Springs has been the focus for the surrounding agricultural region."
Name: City Hall

Address:
110 NW 1st Avenue
High Springs, FL USA
32643


Date of Construction: 1977

Architect: Eugene Russell Davis

Web Site for City/Town/Municipality: [Web Link]

Memorials/Commemorations/Dedications: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Post at least one original photo of the building that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Add any additional information that you may have about this building. A GPSr photo is NOT required
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest City and Town Halls
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
hart612 visited High Springs, FL 3/6/2018 hart612 visited it
the federation visited High Springs, FL 6/20/2013 the federation visited it
ThePostalAnt visited High Springs, FL 5/11/2008 ThePostalAnt visited it
Marine Biologist visited High Springs, FL 3/1/2008 Marine Biologist visited it

View all visits/logs