By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Richmond-Lockwood House - Buffalo, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 54.433 W 078° 52.303
17T E 673736 N 4752708
Quick Description: The Richmond-Lockwood House is one of several mansions along "Millionare's Row," better known as the Delaware Avenue Historic District, near downtown Buffalo.
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 2/23/2008 9:01:04 PM
Waymark Code: WM37Y1
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 31

Long Description:
The Richmond-Lockwood House was built in 1888 and was designed by Marling & Burdett for Jewett Richmond. Originally, the land the house is located on extended all the way through to Rogers Road, now known as Richmond Avenue.

Jewett Richmond moved to Buffalo from the Syracuse area in 1854. He formed a partnership and created J.M. Richmond & Company to carry on the grain commission, storage and elevator business in Buffalo. In 1867, he was elected president of Marine Bank and in 1871 was elected president of the Buffalo and Jamestown Railroad Co. With his vast wealth, he purchased a large piece of land and built a house. That house burned in 1887, and then had this mansion built on the same piece of land. By 1896, he was president of the Buffalo Mutual Gas Light Co., director in the Buffalo and Southwestern Railroad Company, trustee of the Buffalo Savings Bank and of the Forest Lawn Cemetery Association.

In 1918, Thomas Lockwood bought the house and remodeled it. Lockwood was born and educated in Buffalo and went to Yale Law School. He was admitted to practice in the New York State Supreme Court in 1897 and became a prominent local attorney. Lockwood retired at an early age and donated his book collection and funded a building at the University of Buffalo. He died in 1947 and his widow remained in the house until 1950.

By 1952 the house had been converted for use by Bishop McMahon High School and then again in 1969 as the Seminary for Boys. IBM attempted to demolish the building in the 1970s but it was spared. It's current use is by Child & Family Services of Buffalo.
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Delaware Avenue Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
844 Delaware Ave Buffalo, NY 14209


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.