Garret Club - Buffalo, NY
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Rayman
N 42° 55.054 W 078° 52.342
17T E 673654 N 4753856
The Garret Club is a women's social club dating back to 1902, headquartered in a house in an upscale neighborhood north of downtown Buffalo.
Waymark Code: WM2M0G
Location: New York, United States
Date Posted: 11/18/2007
Published By:Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 204

Following the Civil War, women in the United States began to form various organizations to promote their well-being and advancement. Women's social clubs were an important part of this development, which eventually led to the ongoing struggle for gender equality in all occupations and areas of modern life.

The early history of the Garret Club mirrored the progress of many women's clubs. In the winter of 1902, Margaret Scatcherd, the 27 year old daughter of a well-to-do Buffalo family, invited a group of her friends to meet at her Delaware Avenue home to discuss the formation of a women's club. Their intention was to create a congenial place in which to socialize away from home. In March 1902, the club officially constituted itself with a limited membership of 100.

Their first headquarters was in rented rooms at 18 Ashland Avenue. Because the furnishings consisted of items donated by members from their attics, the women chose to name their organization The Garret Club. The club enjoyed immediate success, and in 1903 the women moved to larger rented space in a house at 205 Bryant Street. Gradually, the furnishings indicated a more serious purpose.

In 1905, The Garret Club set up a building fund to someday construct its own permanent structure. 11 years later, the club decided to build their own clubhouse. They purchased a lot at 91 Cleveland Avenue and hired Robert North to design the plans. A frame building costing $18,000 was built by the end of the year.

By the time The Garret Club was 25 years old, they had outgrown their current home so they began discussions about having North enlarge the current 1916 structure. Nothing came of these discussions so in 1928 another committee was formed and turned to E.B. Green Jr., son of famous Buffalo architect E.B. Green, to design a new building on a new site. The club's members changed their minds and decided to expand the current building. In the spring of 1929, the north side of the house was demolished to make way for the expansion. The new clubhouse opened on December 21, 1929 and still is in operation with a thriving membership.
Street address:
91 Cleveland Ave
Buffalo, NY United States

County / Borough / Parish: Erie

Year listed: 2007

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture, Social History

Periods of significance: 1929-1956

Historic function: Social: Clubhouse

Current function: Social: Clubhouse

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 1: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.