Pearsons Hall of Science - Beloit, WI
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member onfire4jesus
N 42° 30.206 W 089° 01.885
16T E 333092 N 4707673
Quick Description: Pearsons Hall of Science was erected in 1892-93 in honor of Dr. D. K. Pearsons, of Hinsdale, Illinois, whose gift made the building possible. It is part of Beloit College in Beloit, WI.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 10/26/2007 5:41:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM2FKA
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 26

Long Description:

Pearsons Hall served as a Science Hall for Beloit College from 1893 until 1967. It is now used for meeting rooms, dining facilities, student government, the mail room, and a radio station.

From the Beloit College Archives web site:
"Pearsons Hall represents the work of a master firm of architects. In 1980, that architectural significance was recognized with the placement of the building on the National Register of Historic Places. Pearsons Hall also has had great importance in the life of Beloit College. From 1893 until 1967 it was the college's science center. At the time it was built, Pearsons Hall in one dramatic step transformed the character of the college from a classical academy into a modern institution of higher learning. The restoration of Pearsons Hall and its dedication as the Jeffris-Wood Campus Center in 1985 will have a comparable impact on the life of the institution.

Pearsons Hall of Science is one of only three Burnham and Root structures still standing in the sate of Wisconsin. Daniel Hudson Burnham (1846-1912), a nationally recognized Chicago architect, was known for his civic planning for office buildings and for many other commissions. He was an organizer of remarkable executive ability, the Chief of Construction of the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and the planner of Chicago's dramatic lakefront. Earlier, with his partner John Wellborn Root (1850-1891), the firm of Burnham and Root (1873-1891) created such landmark Chicago office buildings as the Rookery and the Monadnock and Reliance Buildings.

Pearsons Hall of Science, designed in 1891-1892, is a free adaption of the Romanesque Revival style, as practiced by Henry Hobson Richardson and others. The original plans, signed by Burnham, are now in the possession of Beloit College. The design also presumably owed much to Root. According to one account, "Plans were in the hand of Chief Architect Root at the time of his death." The cornerstone of Pearsons Hall of Science was laid on May 12, 1892, and the building was opened and dedicated on January 13, 1893.

Street address:
Beloit College campus
Beloit, WI USA
53511


County / Borough / Parish: Rock

Year listed: 1980

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event: Architect: Burnham,Daniel H.: Style: Romanesque

Periods of significance: 1875-1899

Historic function: Education: Research Facility

Current function: Education: College

Privately owned?: yes

Hours of operation: From: 8:00 AM To: 8:00 PM

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Eagle1977 visited Pearsons Hall of Science - Beloit, WI 6/7/2011 Eagle1977 visited it
onfire4jesus visited Pearsons Hall of Science - Beloit, WI 10/6/2007 onfire4jesus visited it

View all visits/logs