Glass, Carter, House - Lynchburg, Virginia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
N 37° 24.918 W 079° 08.828
17S E 663967 N 4142555
Quick Description: Carter Glass served in both the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate. His home still stands today at 605 Clay Street in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 10/8/2007 2:28:21 PM
Waymark Code: WM2BRW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 57

Long Description:
Carter Glass was first a newspaper publisher from Lynchburg, Virginia and was later one of Virginia’s most prominent statesmen. Carter Glass was first elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1902. In 1913 he became the Chairman of the House Committee on Banking and Currency. It was during his chairmanship that he worked closely with President Woodrow Wilson to develop an enact the Federal Reserve Act.

In 1918, President Wilson appoint him Secretary of the Treasury, a position that he held until 1920 when he was appointed to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Senator Thomas S. Martin.

Carter Glass served in the the Senate for the rest of his life, turning down President Franklin Roosevelt offer to appoint him Secretary of the Treasury in 1933. During his Senate Career, Carter Glass served as Chairman of the Appropriations Committee helped develop and pass the Glass-Steagall Act, which created the FDIC Insurance Program. Senator Glass served as President pro tempore from 1941 thru 1945.

Carter Glass died of congestive heart failure on May 28, 1946 in Washington, D. C. and is buried in the Spring Hill Cemetery in Lynchburg, Virgnia.

The house known today as the Carter Glass Home was built in 1827 by noted lawyer and architect John Wills who lived here until his death in 1853. Following his death the home was inherited by Mr. Wills daughter and son-in-law George Dixon who retained ownership of the property until it was purchased by Carter Glass in 1907. Carter Glass owned the property until his death in 1946. Following his death, From 1946 until 1960 the remained a private residence with two different owners. In 1960 the home was purchased by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church who retains ownership today.
Source/Credit: The Virginia Department of Historic Resources and the United States Senate.
Street address:
605 Clay Street
Lynchburg, Va. United States

County / Borough / Parish: City of Lynchburg

Year listed: 1976

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Person

Periods of significance: 1900 - 1924

Historic function: Domestic Dwelling

Current function: Church Related Residence

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.