Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Katellim
N 50° 24.333 W 003° 30.777
30U E 463548 N 5583848
Quick Description: Lighthouse at end of Brixham Breakwater
Location: United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/28/2007 3:44:08 PM
Waymark Code: WM23BK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 39

Long Description:
The original 1400ft breakwater was built in 1843, in 1909 a further 600ft was added and between 1912-1916 a final 1000ft was added. It was at this completion that the lighthouse was erected at the seaward end of the overall 3000ft length. The light was the approved by Trinity House. From 1896 Brixham Urban District Council had responsibility for the harbour, and now of course it is Torbay Council.

The lighthouse was built by Stone Platt of Crawley, Sussex. It houses a red flashing light with a range of 4 miles. It operates a 15 seconds on, 3 seconds off sequence.

Orginally it was powered by parafin: a lamplighter lit it at dusk and extinguished it at dawn. Converted to electricity in 1984 and was probably the last to be oil powered.

Coastal Lighthouse: Lighthouse

Range Lights: Not listed

LIGHTHOUSE CHALLENGE VISIT: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please include your GPS in the photo to log a Waypoint in this category.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Coastal Lighthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
twillin visited Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse 6/22/2016 twillin visited it
morgyvr visited Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse 9/7/2015 morgyvr visited it

View all visits/logs