
Roof Angels - Holy Trinity - Kendal, Cumbria
Posted by:
SMacB
N 54° 19.345 W 002° 44.644
30U E 516646 N 6019424
Four carved wooden angels in the roof of the Parr chapel in Holy Trinity church, Kendal.
Waymark Code: WM18584
Location: North West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 06/02/2023
Views: 0
Four carved wooden angels in the roof of the Parr chapel in Holy Trinity church, Kendal.
The Parr Chapel is at the southeast corner of the church, and dates to the 14th century. Built by the Parr family, a chantry priest was employed to offer daily prayers and masses for the souls of the family.
The Parr family lived at Kendal Castle and were descendants of King Edward III.
Catherine Parr (sometimes spelled Katherine; 1512 – 5 September 1548) was Queen of England and Ireland as the last of the six wives of King Henry VIII from their marriage on 12 July 1543 until Henry's death on 28 January 1547. She was granddaughter to Sir William Parr, whose monument lies nearby (
visit link) .
The four angels on the roof corbels carry the symbols of the Crucifixion, the cross, the crown of thorns, a ladder and hammer and nails. Probably restored around 1930, when the chapel ras restored.