Circa 1864 (626 Clark Street) - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.248 W 090° 29.244
15S E 718235 N 4296190
This building is number 158 in the Commons Neighborhood District.
Waymark Code: WM17VH7
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 04/08/2023
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

County of building: St. Charles County
Location of building: Clark St., 2nd house E of N. 7th St., N side, St. Charles
Built: 1864
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival influence
Original Occupant: Henry and Margareta (Schone) Hachtmeyer
Historic District Map

Marker Text:

Circa 1864
626 Clark Street

1830 - Part of Nathan Boone's survey of the Commons.

1837 - Part of Dr. Andrew Wilson's 99 year lease of the Commons.

1862 - Henry Hatchmeyer, Civil War, Krekel's Battalion U.S.R.G. Mo. Inf. Private.

1864 - Approximate date for this house. It is believe to have been a brick half house. The east side
    of the house with the door - window-window is believed to have been built first with the front
    gabled west section and the Greek Revival porch added at a later date.

1868 - Fire Insurance records indicate Henry Hatchmeyer paid insurance for a brick house (Clark 6
    & 7). Census records show Henry Hatchmeyer, Margareta, nee Schone plus daughter Mary
    living here.

1870 - Census lists Henry Hatchmeyer, a policeman, 46 yrs. and his wife Margareta plus Henry

1875 - Margareta Adelheid Schone Hatchmeyer died.

1880 - Census Henry Hatchmyer working for the flour mill and his wife Elizabeth nee Kopp
    Hatchmeyer living here. They had nine children. Three died in infancy. The other were Louis,
    Charles, Fred, Henry, Netta and Emma.

1900 - City directory listed Henry Hatchmeyer, a laborer, and Henry Jr. working at A.C.F. and Emma.

1906 - Henry Hatchmeyer, Jr. was a volunteer fireman with Engine House NO. 1

1902 - Between 1902 and 1926 three Henry Hatchmeyers died.

1939 - Elizabeth (widow of Henry) and Charles Hatchmeyer and his wife.

1941 - Elizabeth, widow of Henry, and the widow of Charles Hatchmeyer.

1950 - Property owned by Netta Kavaler, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: circa 1864
Style/Design: Colonial Revival influence/Gable-front-and-wing
According to a plaque in the yard, the eastern half of this house was built about 1864 for Henry and Margareta (Schone) Hachtmeyer.
  According to the plaque, he was a private in Krekel’s Battalion U.S.R.G. Infantry during the Civil War. Hachtmeyer paid fire insurance on a brick house in this location in 1868, and the 1870 census lists him as a 46-year old policeman. The label for the lot on Brink's 1875 Illustrated Atlas could not be deciphered, and the house is shown on the 1906 Plat Map and labeled Hachtmeyer. Margareta died in 1876. The 1880 census lists their son Henry and his wife Elizabeth (Kopp) Hachtmeyer as the residents, and he was employed at the flour mill but by 1900 he was a laborer. They had 9 children, but 3 died in infancy. The city directories indicate that Henry and Elizabeth Hachtmeyer lived in this house from 1906 through 1926, except for 1918-19, when they lived next door at 622 Clark. After Henry’s death, Elizabeth continued to live here until about 1944. Two of her daughters, Meta and Emma, also lived in the house with their families from about 1928 through 1961, when research ended. Meta’s husband was Herman Kaveler (a machinist at the American Car & Foundry Co.) and Emma’s husband was A. Theodore Kohlhepp (a pipefitter).

"Mature trees shade this 40’x171’ elevated lot and the hillside along the front of the lot is planted with ivy. A brick public sidewalk spans the front of the lot and a concrete sidewalk with stairway leads from the street to the gallery. A 1-story, frame, 2-car garage is at the rear of the lot and opens onto the alley. It has a concrete foundation, narrow weatherboard siding and an asphalt hip roof. On the north façade are two pairs of hinged bead board doors and on the west elevation is a bead board man door and a window opening that has been covered with vinyl louvered shutters. There are no openings on the east elevation. The garage appears to be the same one shown on the 1929 Sanborn Insurance map and is contributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase IV, PDF pages 814-818

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.