705 Washington Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.092 W 090° 29.371
15S E 718059 N 4295897
This is building number 461 on the NRHP Listing.
Waymark Code: WM174NH
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 12/11/2022
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: Washington St., 2nd house W of N 7th St., S side, St. Charles
Built: 1900
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Colonial Revival influence
Original Occupant: William and Edith Gray

Marker Text:

705 Washington Street
This house originally belonged to William and Edith gray, and was built some time prior to 1908.

It is generally known in St. Charles as the Willbrand home. Ted and Elinore Willbrand lived here while he was president of St. Charles Dairy.

History of Mark:
"Built: 1900 circa
Style/Design: Colonial Revival influence
The County’s tax parcels database gives the date of construction as 1908; however, the 1906 city directory lists the occupants as William and Edith Gray, and he was a clerk for Wabash (presumably the Wabash Railroad). The only earlier directory available is the 1891-92 issue, which does not list this property, and prior to 1909 the Sanborn maps do not cover this area. Therefore, the date of construction is being given as c. 1900. The Gray family owned the house through 1926, although William had died by 1925. From 1927 through 1934 three different families occupied but did not own the residence, but by 1938 Clyde P. Brown purchased the property. He apparently died that same year, as Mrs. Clyde Brown is listed as the homeowner from 1939 through 1945. From 1950 through 1961, when research ended, Theodore Willbrand, Jr. and his wife Jane owned the house. In 1950 he was the office manager of the St. Charles Dairy, but by 1955 he was the treasurer. Apparently sometime after 1961 he became president, as the plaque in the front yard states that Ted and Eleanor (his wife’s name was given as Jane in the city directories) Willbrand lived here while he was president of the St. Charles Dairy. The plaque also states that the house is generally known in St. Charles as the Willbrand Home; therefore, both the Gray and Willbrand names are given as historic names.

"The date that the front porch was removed and alterations were made to the first floor’s openings is unknown, but it was prior to 1986 when the current owners acquired the property. The alterations represent the enduring popularity of the Colonial Revival style and a previous property owner’s wish to update his turn-of-the-20th century home. Since the house retains its beaded weatherboard siding, shingles in the gable end, and wood windows it is considered to be contributing.

"A public sidewalk spans the front of this elevated lot and an alley extends along the rear. A concrete sidewalk with a set of six steps leads to the entrance, and to each side of the stairway is a semicircular stone retaining wall surrounding low evergreen shrubs. A large evergreen tree is in the front yard, and along the front and sides of the house are large evergreen shrubs.
  Opening onto the alley is a one-story, side-gabled, frame, two-car garage. The walls are finished with board-and-batten siding and there are two metal overhead doors on the south elevation.
  According to the City’s address files, the garage was built in 1996 and a greenhouse was added to the east elevation in 2010. The garage is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase II, PDF pages 699-703

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.