315 North Sixth Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.139 W 090° 29.244
15S E 718240 N 4295988
Quick Description: This is building number 86 on the NRHP Listing. A published entomologist lived here.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/28/2022 5:48:39 AM
Waymark Code: WM172WX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: N 6th St., 3rd house S of Adams St., W side, St. Charles
Built: 1858
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Federal
Original Occupant: Joseph Mueller
Map
Marker Erected: 2004

Marker Text:

315 N. Sixth Street
This house was built 1858-1859 and has been referenced as "the first house in this area." Original owner/builder was Joseph Mueller who migrated from Germany and sent for his wife, Theresa, after the house was completed. Theresa resided here until her death in 1929.

The house was constructed with no fireplace, and initially had a summer kitchen that no longer stands. Few modification have been made to the original structure. It features the original front windows.

A special owner of the home for over 30 years(1955-1986) was Dr. Mary Talbot, a professor of entomology at Lindenwood College. Dr. Talbot dedicated her life to teaching and researching ants for over 50 years. Her observations were published in numerous scientific journals.

History of Mark:
"Built: 1858
Style/Design: Federal
According to a plaque in the front yard, this house was built in 1858-59 by Joseph Mueller, who migrated from Germany and sent for his wife, Theresa, after the house was built. The lot is labeled J. Mueller on the 1875 atlas and on the 1905 plat map. Based on the city directories, Mr. Mueller died between 1892 and 1906, but Mrs. Mueller remained in the house until her death in 1929.
  Between 1929 and 1955 eight different families occupied the house. By 1957 Mary Talbot, an entomology professor at Lindenwood College, had purchased the property, and the plaque in the yard says that Dr. Talbot lived in the house from 1955-1986. The plaque also states that she dedicated her life to teaching and researching ants for over 50 years, and her observations were published in numerous scientific journals. The 1959 and 1961 city directories indicate that another Lindenwood teacher, Juliet McCrory, also lived in the house.

"Situated on an elevated lot, this diminutive one-and-one-half story, painted brick, Federal style structure has a side-gabled roof with parapeted end walls, and the roof is trimmed with a denticulated brick frieze. The coursed rusticated stone foundation has also been painted.
  The house was originally L-shaped, but a frame addition was made to the north half of the rear elevation, giving it a rectangular plan. The entrance, which is located at the north end of the three-bay main façade, is a wood door with four raised panels, and the door is flanked by three-light sidelights set above paneled skirts. A seven-light transom spans the door and sidelights, and a stone lintel is above the transom. There is no porch or stoop—the door opens directly onto a set of steps.
  To the left of the entrance are two 6/6 wood windows with stone lintels and lug sills, and the windows are flanked by operable louvered wood shutters. The south elevation has two 6/6 windows on the first floor and another in the upper half story, and the windows have stone lintels and lug sills. On the south wall of the rear shed-roofed wing is a window that appears to be a 1/1 sash. The north elevation has a window on each level, and on the north wall of the rear addition is a group of 2/2 windows.

"A stuccoed stone retaining wall spans the front of this lot, and along the front of the wall is a public sidewalk. The house is situated close to the north lot line, and the front yard is small. A concrete sidewalk with set of five steps leads from the street to the entrance, and a brick sidewalk extends from the entrance to the south to wrap around the south side of the house. Between the sidewalk and front wall of the house is a landscape bed. A small, moveable shed with vertical board walls and shed roof is in the south side yard, but it is not being counted as an outbuilding since it is moveable. In the rear yard, opening onto the alley, is a carport with plain wood posts supporting a gable roof, and since the carport was built in 2008 it is noncontributing." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase III, PDF pages 65-69



Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.