320-322 North Sixth Street - St. Charles, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 47.142 W 090° 29.227
15S E 718265 N 4295995
Folk Victorian house in the middle of the historic district. The NRHP and Historic Survey call the house Folk Victorian, only this plaque disagrees.
Waymark Code: WM172RJ
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/27/2022
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
Views: 1

County of building: Saint Charles County
Location of structure: N 6th St., 3rd house N of Monroe St., E side, St. Charles
Built: 1905
Architect/Builder: Unknown
Architectural Style: Folk Victorian
Original Occupant: William B. and Elenora Schierding

Marker Text:

320-322 North Sixth Street
This house was constructed by Mrs. John William Bruns in 1905 as a Duplex in the American Foursquare style of architecture. The south side (320) was sold to her grandson William Schierding, which resided there until 1911. Various members of the Schierding family resided in the house until 1972.

In the 1930s the basement was excavated, additional bedrooms were added on the second floor, and bathrooms were also added.

The house was bought from the Schierding estate and used as rental property for nineteen years. In 1991 it was purchased as a primary residence, remaining as a duplex, and numerous improvements have been made to restore it to its grandeur.

Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark:
"Built: 1905
Style/Design: Folk Victorian
According to a plaque in the front yard, this duplex was built in 1905 by Mrs. John William Bruns, who sold the south side (320) to her grandson, William B. Schierding. According to the city directories, William B. and Elenora Schierding lived in 320 from 1906 through 1910, and he was employed by the American Car and Foundry Co. (ACF). In 1916-17 Miss Daisy Martin was listed as the resident, but from 1918-1961 the unit was owned and occupied by Elenora Schierding, William’s widow. The unit at 322 was occupied by Richard N. and Annie Schierding in 1906, and he was employed by the Bruns Machine Co. From 1908-1910, 322 was occupied by George Hoehn, a timekeeper at ACF, and his wife Amanda, and Omar and Elizabeth Schierding were the residents from 1916-1930. Omar worked in a variety of jobs, first as a machinist at the St. Charles Garage, then as a confectioner at 701 Jefferson Street, and by 1925 he was working at Renken Brothers. The unit at 322 was owned and occupied by Pauline Schierding from 1931 through 1961, when research ended. According to the yard plaque, members of the Schierding family occupied the duplex until 1972.

"This two-and-one-half story, cruciform-plan duplex rests on a coursed rusticated stone foundation and the walls are finished with brick. The structure is crowned by a high hip roof with wide overhanging eaves, and on the front slope of the roof is a hipped dormer with two single-light windows and battered walls clad with vinyl siding. An interior end chimney is at the north and south side slopes while there is another at the east slope of the rear gabled wing. The main façade is a four-bay elevation, with the center two bays of the first floor holding half-glazed doors topped by single-light transoms, and paneled wood storm doors with ball-and-rod spindles are at each entrance. The outer bays and the four openings of the second floor have 1/1 wood windows with cast stone lug sills, and according to the City's address files the windows were replaced in 2011. Openings are segmental arched with radiating voussoirs, and the windows are protected by louvered wooden blinds. Spanning the main façade is a one-story gallery with stone foundation piers in-filled with framed lattice panels, wooden stairway and deck, balustrade with turned balusters, turned posts with corner brackets, and shed roof. The west walls of the projecting north and south wings hold a 1/1 window on each floor. The west end of the north and south elevations have a 1/1 window on each floor, and in each of the projecting bays of the side elevations is a 1/1 window on each floor.

"A public sidewalk spans the front of this flat lot, which is 50' wide by 140' deep, and an alley spans the rear. A brick sidewalk extends from the public sidewalk to the gallery, where it then turns and wraps around both the north and south sides of the house. Landscape beds are between the sidewalk and front gallery, and a mature tree is situated between the curb and public sidewalk. The rear yard is enclosed by a shadow-box style wood privacy fence, and along the alley is a concrete parking area. A moveable shed has been placed on part of the parking area. It is not being counted as an outbuilding since it is moveable." ~ St. Charles Historic Survey  Phase III, PDF pages 76-79

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.