Big Griffin - Perugia, Italy
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PISA-caching
N 43° 06.716 E 012° 23.320
33T E 287535 N 4776554
Quick Description: Big, bronze statue of a griffin
Location: Umbria, Italy
Date Posted: 9/21/2022 7:54:41 AM
Waymark Code: WM16R26
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
 
< IT >

Sulla facciata settentrionale del Palazzo dei Priori di Perugia si trova una grande statua di bronzo raffigurante un grifone, simbolo di Perugia. Il grifone sta spiegando le ali e guarda verso il suolo. Accanto al grifone si trova un'altra statua in bronzo, raffigurante un leone, che era il simbolo dei Guelfi.

"Si pensava che queste due statue di bronzo fossero di origine etrusca, ma si è scoperto che molto probabilmente furono fuse nell'Arsenale di Venezia nel XIII secolo. Si tratta delle prime fusioni di bronzo europee realizzate 'a tutto tondo', cioè senza supporto, dall'antichità. In origine furono utilizzati per decorare la Fontana degli assetati nella piazza principale, costruita da Arnolfo di Cambio, famoso architetto e scultore, tra il 1271 e il 1281. Il Grifone e il Leone guelfo furono spostati al loro posto sopra il portale del Palazzo dei Priori tra il 1301 e il 1308.

Oggi il Grifone e il Leone guelfo situati sopra il portale sono copie moderne. I bronzi araldici originali si trovano all'interno del Palazzo, nell'atrio, sulla sinistra entrando."

Tradotto dalla fonte:
timelessitaly.wordpress.com/2018/07/15/the-griffon-and-the-guelph-lion-of-perugia/

 
< EN >

On the northern facade of the Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia is a big, bronze statue of a griffin, the symbol of Perugia. It is spreading its wings and looking down to the ground. Next to the griffin is another bronze statue, depicting a lion, who was the symbol for the Guelphs (Guelph family).

"These two bronze statues were thought to be of Etruscan origin, but it was discovered they were most likely cast in the Arsenal of Venice in the 13th century. They were the first European bronze castings made ‘in the round,’ meaning standing without support, since antiquity. Originally they were first used to decorate the Fountain of the Thirsty in the main square, which was built by Arnolfo di Cambio, famous architect and sculptor, between 1271 and 1281. The Griffon and the Guelph Lion were moved to their places above the portal of the Palazzo dei Priori between 1301 and 1308.

Today, the Griffin and the Guelph Lion situated above the portal are modern copies. The original heraldic bronzes are inside the Palazzo in the atrium, on the left as you enter."

Source and further information:
timelessitaly.wordpress.com/2018/07/15/the-griffon-and-the-guelph-lion-of-perugia/

Time Period: Ancient

Epic Type: Mythical

Exhibit Type: Figure, Statue, 3D Art

Approximate Date of Epic Period: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To post a log for this waymark, take a picture of the location and tell at least 'a little' bit about your encounter, impression or experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Epic Beings and Creatures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.