Site of St. Martin’s Hospital - Oliver, British Columbia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 10.867 W 119° 33.242
11U E 313879 N 5450729
The Site of St. Martin’s Hospital plaque is at the corner of Fairview Road and Okanagan Street.
Waymark Code: WM16NF7
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 09/04/2022
Views: 1

The Site of St. Martin’s Hospital plaque is attached to a small boulder, and based on its condition, it appears it has been there for some time. The area is mostly covered with concrete and there is a young tree planted near the plaque. There is a single bench and a parking area nearby.

The Site of St. Martin’s Hospital plaque is at the corner of Fairview Road and Okanagan Street.

Site of St. Martin’s Hospital
1942 – 1973
Operated by the Sisters of Saint Anne
Designed by Architect E. Whittaker
The Oliver/Osoyoos Hospital Society and
The Oliver Women’s Institute
Are recognized for the establishment
of hospital services for the South Okanagan
ST. MARTIN’S HOSPITAL ”1942 was a significant year for Oliver, as St. Martin’s Hospital was built and opened on November 28th. The building was funded in large part by the Sisters of St. Ann, who had been contacted by the Oliver community asking for help with the project, and the nuns also managed and ran the hospital. The original five sisters who worked at the hospital included Mother Mary Mark (Superior), Sister Mary Dositheus (R. N.), Sister Mary Constantine, and Sister Mary Dunstan. The number of sisters that worked at the hospital fluctuated over the years, from as few as 4 to as many as 9.

St. Martin’s Hospital officially opened its doors on November 28, 1942. When it opened there were 11 full-time staff members who were paid 75 cents per hour. Just 6 years later, the staff had increased to 26, including 5 Sisters of St. Anne. In that year there were 1,022 admissions, 176 births, 99 major operations, 1,024 x-rays, and 199 outpatients. As of 1950, more than 1,000 babies were born in St. Martin’s Hospital.

St. Martin’s Hospital was constructed in 1942 and was run by the Roman Catholic Sister of St. Anne. St Martin’s treated many patients with T.B. and polio, which were major health issues in Oliver during the 1950s. It was closed in January 1973 and although the local community fought to try and save the hospital from demolition, it was torn down in 1981.
Source: Oliver & District Heritage Society
Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Other

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Okanagan Street next to small park

What Agency placed the marker?: Oliver & District Historical Society

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.