De Sint Johannes de Doperkerk - Schiedam - NL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member hoekraam
N 51° 54.906 E 004° 23.851
31U E 596119 N 5752517
Quick Description: The Sint Johannes de Doperkerk in Schiedam. The church is better known as the Havenkerk.
Location: Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Date Posted: 7/29/2022 3:52:48 AM
Waymark Code: WM16GKV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
De Sint Johannes de Doperkerk was een rooms-katholieke parochiekerk in Schiedam. De kerk is beter bekend als de Havenkerk.

De Havenkerk werd in neoclassicistische stijl ontworpen door de Haagse architect Adrianus Tollus. Het is een driebeukige hallenkerk. De bouw startte in 1822 en in 1824 werd de kerk ingewijd. De voorgevel is in de dorische orde, met een hoog portiek dat wordt ondersteund door vier zuilen. Op het dak staat een houten toren. De zuilen en arcaden in de kerk zijn in de ionische orde. De Havenkerk beschikt over een orgel van Pieter Maarschalkerweerd uit 1875.

De kerk werd in 1967 voor de rooms-katholieke eredienst gesloten. De parochie verhuisde naar een nieuw kerkgebouw in de wijk Nieuwland, dat in 2000 is afgebroken. Tussen 1976 en 2008 was de Havenkerk in gebruik bij de Stichting Johan Maasbach Wereldzending. In 2008 waren er plannen voor verkoop aan een projectontwikkelaar, die er een hotel en restaurant in wil vestigen. De kerk is in 2010 door de Stichting tot Restauratie en Instandhouding van de kerk aan de Lange Haven gekocht van de Johan Maasbach Wereldzending. In 2011/2012 is de kerk gerestaureerd, met name met betrekking tot het exterieur. Voor de kerk wordt een passende bestemming gezocht.



The Sint Johannes de Doperkerk was a Roman Catholic parish church in Schiedam. The church is better known as the Havenkerk.

The Havenkerk was designed in neoclassical style by the Hague architect Adrianus Tollus. It is a three-aisled hall church. Construction started in 1822 and the church was consecrated in 1824. The facade is in the Doric order, with a high portico supported by four columns. On the roof is a wooden tower. The columns and arcades in the church are in the Ionic order. The Havenkerk has an organ by Pieter Maarschalkerweerd from 1875.

The church was closed to Roman Catholic worship in 1967. The parish moved to a new church building in the Nieuwland district, which was demolished in 2000. Between 1976 and 2008, the Havenkerk was used by the Johan Maasbach World Mission Foundation. In 2008 there were plans for sale to a project developer, who wants to establish a hotel and restaurant in it. The church was bought in 2010 by the Foundation for the Restoration and Preservation of the church on the Lange Haven from the Johan Maasbach World Mission. In 2011/2012 the church was restored, especially with regard to the exterior. A suitable destination is being sought for the church.
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1822

Age of Church building determined by?: Other reliable source

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Not listed

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Street address of Church: Not listed

Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.