Oude Zeedijkmolen - Avekapelle - Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Andre 61
N 51° 04.003 E 002° 44.294
31U E 481658 N 5657277
Quick Description: Oude Zeedijkmolen in Avekapelle
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 6/27/2022 2:03:37 PM
Waymark Code: WM16C4X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 0

Long Description:
De Oude Zeedijkmolen is een houten korenwindmolen aan de noordzijde van de Roesdammestraat nr. 9, op 400 meter ten oosten van de kerk.

Deze staakmolen met open voet werd gebouwd in 1745. Hij is gebouwd op zeer lage teerlingen. Hoog hoeven de teerlingen hier niet te zijn: de molen heeft een totaal onbelemmerde windvang in deze open poldervlakte. Ook een berg hoort er om dezelfde reden niet bij. Tegen zon en ontij is de voet sierlijk beschermd. De molen heeft een heel hoge maalzolder.

Voor 1834 was de molen in het bezit van Jan-Baptist Bauden-Ridey, molenaar te Avekapelle en van de weduwe van Jacob Van Eecke, landbouwster te Steenkerke.

Op 16 juni 1834 kocht Pieter Van Eecke-Blanckaert de molen van zijn oom Joannes-Baptiste Bauden voor de som van 3500 frank (notaris Floor).
Op 9 oktober 1856 kocht Désiré Govaert (Lampernisse 1823 - +Avekapelle 1871) de molen voor 8000 frank (notaris Decae). Désiré Govaert was de zoon van de molenaar op de Sint-Jansmolen te Lampernisse en was gehuwd met Anna-Theresia Winnock (Lo 1833 - +Avekapelle 1880), een molenaarsdochter. Désiré Govaert had vier zonen waarvan één verongelukte in de molen; de drie anderen werden molenaar te Lampernisse, Mannekensvere en Veurne-Kalkovenbrug.

Na Désirés overlijden op 7 februari 1871 hertrouwde zijn weduwe Anna-Theresia Winnock in 1872 met Charles-Théacute Lefégrave (Warhem 10.03.1839 - +Avekapelle 10.02.1921). Hij was de zoon van een molenaar uit Warhem (Frans-Vlaanderen) die naar hier gevlucht was om te ontsnappen aan de Frans-Duitse oorlog van 1870. (Een broer,Jean-Armand Lefégrave, was geboren op 18.09.1844, was gehuwd met Louise-Marie Ryckelinck en overleed te Bergues op 27.04.1905). Charles-Théacute;ophile Lefégrave;vre was molenaarsknecht op de Oude Zeedijkmolen toen hij met de weduwe Govaert huwde, nu werd hij er de nieuwe eigenaar!

Na het overlijden van Anna-Theresia Winnock hertrouwde Charles Lefégrave;vre in 1880 met Rosalia-Ludovica Van Eecke (Avekapelle, 1846 - 1917). Zij was de dochter van de vroegere eigenaar Pieter Van Eecke. Zij hadden drie kinderen, o.a. Emeric Lefevre, geboren te Avekapelle op 7 juni 1886 en er overleden op 7 april 1962. Hij huwde met Ludovica Maria Boeve (Pervijze 14.03.1899 - +Etterbeek 11.01.1959).

Na de dood van zijn vader werd Emeric Lefevre-Boeve de nieuwe eigenaar van de Oude Zeedijkmolen. Hij diende niet minder dan 35 jaar de belangen van de (vroegere) gemeente Avekapelle, eerst als gemeenteraadslid, schepen en vanaf 1935 tot aan zijn dood, als burgemeester. Haast heel zijn leven was hij molenaar. Tijdens de tweede wereldoorlog maalde hij dag en nacht. Herstellingen werden uitgevoerd door molenbouwer Henri Lejeune (Westvleteren, 1892-1965).

Reeds op 6 á 7-jarige leeftijd stond zoon Abel 'aan de licht' van de Oude Zeedijkmolen als beoogde opvolger, zo wou de traditie. Toen hij 16 was, kon hij al goed overweg met de molen.Abel Lefégrave, gehuwd met Maria Gantois, overleed op 28 januari 2006.

Enkele onderdelen zijn afkomstig van andere molens: de staak werd in 1927 gehaald uit Busschersmolen, een driezolder-staakmolen te Steenvoorde (F) door molenbouwer Peel uit Gistel, het voorwiel en de askop komen uit de Kruisabelemolen te Alveringem (molenmaker Henri Lejeune, Westvleteren).

In 1968 werd de molen grondig hersteld door de molenbouwers Peel uit Gistel. Begin de jaren 1980 deed aannemer Cottenier uit Aalbeke, naar een ontwerp van ingenieur-architect W. Snauwaert uit Oostende, enkele herstellingen aan het mechanisme, o.m. aan de vang, maar dat leidde niet tot de gewenste resultaten.

Een restauratie werd aangevat in 1981 door de firma Cottenier uit Aalbeke (Kortrijk), naar een ontwerp van ingenieur-architect Walter Snauwaert uit Oostende. De werken bleven echter aanslepen en geraakten niet voltooid, omdat de firma teveel andere molenwerven had en enkele werken (o.a. aan de vang) niet het gewenste resultaat hadden. Bepaalde delen waren wel afgewerkt, zoals de herbevestiging van een halve verdekkering aan de roeden, een nieuwe bovenbalk en een nieuwe gangt kammen in het voorviel. Tegen 1987 was nog niet uitgevoerd: een nieuwe vang en het omhoog brengen van de trap.

Tijdens de storm van vrijdagnamiddag 27 maart 1987 met windsnelheden van 110 tot 120 km per uur, ging de molen door de vang. De molenaar zat binnen koffie te drinken en had de roede niet aan de ketting gelegd, hetgeen nochtans zijn gewoonte niet was. Vrijwel onmiddellijk bemerkte hij dan ook het gevaar, maar het was al te laat. Door de halve verdekkering trok de molen vlug aan en met een trap die op de grond steunde was de molen niet meer te kruien. Na een tijdje rondvliegen - het gevlucht was een schijf - verloren de roeden het hekwerk. Nadien vloog de loper van de achtermolen dwars door de weegbanden grotendeels naar buiten. De banden rond deze Franse molensteen zijn bezweken onder de middelpuntvliedende kracht. Opmerkelijk is dat het staakijzer en de rijn op hun plaats zijn gebleven. Door dit alles kreeg de molen nog grotere snelheid, zodat uiteindelijk de askop is afgebroken aan het huis van de binnenroede. Deze roede is dan verwrongen naast de molen gevallen. De buitenroede was gebroken, waarbij het kortste eind meer dan honderd meter werd weggeslingerd. Het langste eind miste net het molenhuis. De askop lag 30 meter achter de molen.
In totaal heeft de molen 30 á 45 minuten rondgegierd, terwijl rook uit de molen opsteeg. Pas een half uur na de ramp is dan brand uitgebroken, die echter vlug door de brandweer kon worden geblust.

Al in april 1987 werd een dossier ingezet voor dringende instandhoudingwerken. De noodherstelling bestond vooral in het dichten van de kap en van de beschadigde linkerzijweeg. De maalvaardige restauratie volgde pas in 1996, met o.m. een nieuw gelast gevlucht (fabr. Peel, Gistel). De askop die in 1996 geplaatst werd, is niet nieuw, maar is de oude askop die in 1902 werd gegoten bij Etienne Sabbe-Maselis uit Roeselare. Hij woog 1293 kg, kostte 258 Belgische frank en werd in 1927 vervangen door een zwaarder exemplaar van 1500 kg. Eind de jaren 1940 werd die eruit gehaald werd door Emeric Lefevre nadat hij de Kruisabelemolen te Alveringem had gekocht. Jarenlang lag deze askop als sieraad bij de Sint-Janshuismolen te Brugge, alvorens te verhuizen naar het atelier van de molenbouwers Peel te Gistel en in 1996 terug te keren naar Avekapelle.

Op vrijdag 8 juni 2007 hield een onweer - dat in Koksijde een villa in de vlammen deed opgaan - lelijk huis in de Oude Zeedijkmolen te Avekapelle. De bliksem viel in op het einde van de horizontaal staande buitenroede. Hij kwam via de roede in contact met het zeil, maar na een rondje via de lijken koos hij ervoor zijn weg naar de grond te vervolgen. De bliksemafleider deed prima zijn werk. De schade bleef beperkt tot één versplinterde buitenzoom en de tweede hekschede, alsook enkele brandmerken in het zeil.

bron (visit link)
-----------------------

The Old Zeedijk Mill is a wooden corn windmill on the north side of Roesdammestraat no. 9, 400 metres east of the church.

Deze staakmolen met open voet werd gebouwd in 1745. Hij is gebouwd op zeer lage teerlingen. Hoog hoeven de teerlingen hier niet te zijn: de molen heeft een totaal onbelemmerde windvang in deze open poldervlakte. Ook een berg hoort er om dezelfde reden niet bij. The base is elegantly protected from the sun. The mill has a very high grinding loft.

Before 1834, the mill was owned by Jan-Baptist Bauden-Ridey, miller in Avekapelle, and by the widow of Jacob Van Eecke, farmer in Steenkerke.

On 16 June 1834, Pieter Van Eecke-Blanckaert bought the mill from his uncle Joannes-Baptiste Bauden for the sum of 3500 francs (notary Floor).
On 9 October 1856 Désiré Govaert (Lampernisse 1823 - +Avekapelle 1871) bought the mill for 8000 francs (notary Decae). Désiré Govaert was the son of the miller on the Sint-Jansmolen in Lampernisse and was married to Anna-Theresia Winnock (Lo 1833 - +Avekapelle 1880), a miller's daughter. Désiré Govaert had four sons, one of whom died in the mill; the three others became miller in Lampernisse, Mannekensvere and Veurne-Kalkovenbrug.

After Désiré's death on 7 February 1871, his widow Anna-Theresia Winnock remarried in 1872 to Charles-Théacute Lefégrave (Warhem 10.03.1839 - +Avekapelle 10.02.1921). He was the son of a miller from Warhem (French Flanders) who had fled here to escape the Franco-German war of 1870 (a brother, Jean-Armand Lefégrave, was born on 18.09.1844, was married to Louise-Marie Ryckelinck and died in Bergues on 27.04.1905). Charles-Théacute;ophile Lefégrave;vre was a miller's servant on the Oude Zeedijkmolen when he married the widow Govaert, now he became the new owner!

After the death of Anna-Theresia Winnock, Charles Lefégrave;vre remarried Rosalia-Ludovica Van Eecke (Avekapelle, 1846 - 1917) in 1880. She was the daughter of the former owner Pieter Van Eecke. They had three children, including Emeric Lefevre, born in Avekapelle on 7 June 1886 and died there on 7 April 1962. He married Ludovica Maria Boeve (Pervijze 14.03.1899 - +Etterbeek 11.01.1959).

After the death of his father Emeric Lefevre-Boeve became the new owner of the Oude Zeedijkmolen. He served the interests of the (former) municipality of Avekapelle for no less than 35 years, first as a member of the council, as an alderman and from 1935 until his death as mayor. He was a miller for most of his life. During the Second World War, he milled day and night. Repairs were carried out by mill builder Henri Lejeune (Westvleteren, 1892-1965).

At the age of six or seven, son Abel was already 'at the light' of the Oude Zeedijkmolen as the intended successor, according to tradition. Abel Lefégrave, married to Maria Gantois, died on 28 January 2006.

Some of the parts are from other mills: the stake was taken in 1927 from Busschersmolen, a three-stake attic mill in Steenvoorde (F), by the millwright Peel from Gistel; the front wheel and the axle are from the Kruisabelemolen in Alveringem (millwright Henri Lejeune, Westvleteren).

In 1968 the mill was thoroughly restored by the mill builders Peel from Gistel. In the early 1980s, contractor Cottenier from Aalbeke, after a design of engineer-architect W. Snauwaert from Ostend, carried out some repairs on the mechanism, including the catch, but this did not lead to the desired results.

A restoration was started in 1981 by the firm of Cottenier from Aalbeke (Kortrijk), after a design of engineer-architect Walter Snauwaert from Oostende. However, the works dragged on and did not get finished because the firm had too many other mill sites and some works (e.g. on the vang) did not have the desired result. Certain parts were finished, such as the reattachment of a half covering to the rods, a new upper beam and a new gang of combs in the front part of the mill. By 1987, a new vang and the raising of the stairs had not yet been carried out.

During the storm of Friday afternoon 27 March 1987 with wind speeds of 110 to 120 km per hour, the mill went through the catch. The miller was drinking coffee inside and had not put the rod to the chain, which was not his habit. Almost immediately he noticed the danger, but it was already too late. The half-covering pulled the mill quickly and with a step that was supported on the ground, the mill could no longer be tackled. After flying around for a while - the vane was a disc - the rods lost the fencing. Afterwards, the runner of the rear mill flew out through the weighing straps for the most part. The bands around this French millstone collapsed under centrifugal force. Remarkably, the stake iron and the line remained in place. All this caused the mill to speed up even more, so that finally the axle head broke off at the house of the inner rod. This rod then fell twisted next to the mill. The outer rod was broken, with the shortest end being flung more than a hundred metres away. The longest end just missed the mill house. The shaft head was 30 metres behind the mill.
In total, the mill was whirling around for 30 to 45 minutes, while smoke rose from the mill. Only half an hour after the disaster, a fire broke out, which could, however, quickly be extinguished by the fire brigade.

As early as April 1987, a file was submitted for urgent maintenance work. The emergency repairs consisted mainly of sealing the cap and the damaged left side scales. The mill was only restored to full working order in 1996, with a new welded spindle (fabr. Peel, Gistel). The shaft head fitted in 1996 is not new but is the old shaft head cast in 1902 by Etienne Sabbe-Maselis from Roeselare. It weighed 1293 kg, cost 258 Belgian francs and was replaced in 1927 by a heavier 1500 kg one. At the end of the 1940s it was removed by Emeric Lefevre after he bought the Kruisabelemolen in Alveringem. For many years this axlehead lay as an ornament at the Sint-Janshuismolen in Bruges, before moving to the workshop of the mill builders Peel in Gistel and returning to Avekapelle in 1996.

On Friday 8 June 2007, a thunderstorm - which caused a villa in Koksijde to go up in flames - wreaked havoc on the Oude Zeedijkmolen in Avekapelle. The lightning struck the end of the horizontal outer rod. It came into contact with the sail through the rod, but after a round trip through the corpses, it chose to continue its path towards the ground. The lightning rod did its job very well. The damage was limited to one splintered outside hem and the second stern sheath, as well as some burn marks in the sail.

source (visit link)
Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1745

Purpose: Milling

Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Windmill Farm: no

Cost: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Open to the public: Not Listed

Museum on Site: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Andre 61 visited Oude Zeedijkmolen - Avekapelle - Belgium 6/29/2022 Andre 61 visited it