Steenakkermolen of Dodenmolen - Langemark-Poelkapelle - Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Andre 61
N 50° 53.853 E 002° 56.897
31U E 496363 N 5638433
Quick Description: Steenakkermolen of Dodenmolen gelegen in Langemark-Poelkapelle
Location: West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Date Posted: 6/21/2022 12:25:11 PM
Waymark Code: WM16BCF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 1

Long Description:
De Steenakkermolen, ook Dodenmolen genoemd, is een standaardmolen met open voet, en fungeert als korenwindmolen. De houten windmolen is gelegen op de hoek van de Onze-Lieve-Vrouwstraat en de Waterstraat op het Langemarkse gehucht Sint-Juliaan.

Historiek
De Steenakkermolen gaat in oorsprong minstens terug tot de eerste helft van de 15de eeuw. De oudste vermelding dateert van 1439: “In Langhemarcq, …oostwaerd vanden straetkine dat strect ten steen ackere meulne waerd”. In de 17de eeuw werd de houten windmolen meermaals als referentiepunt vermeld in leggers en bijhorende registers. De Kabinetskaart (1771-1778) van graaf de Ferraris geeft de molen eveneens weer. Uit een openbare verkoop van de molen in 1854 blijft dat bij de Steenakkermolen een rosmolen stond om periodes van windstilte te kunnen overbruggen. Bij de molen hoorden ook een molenaarshuis en enkele landerijen.

In het begin van de Eerste Wereldoorlog, meer bepaald op het einde van oktober 1914 tijdens de Eerste Slag om Ieper, ging de Steenakkermolen in de vlammen op. Na de oorlog, in 1923, liet Jules Lievens-Standaert, die de molensite in 1922 had gekocht, op dezelfde locatie opnieuw een windmolen oprichten. Daartoe had hij de Kruisbergmolen uit Pittem in 1923 overgebracht naar Langemark, nadat hij de molen eerder dat jaar had gekocht van de erfgenamen van molenaar Karel Van Brabant. Deze molen werd in Pittem in 1789-1790 gebouwd door de Ruiseleedse molenmaker Pieter Hoste voor rekening van molenaar Lodewijk van Poucke. Aan deze bouwdatum herinneren nog de inscripties op één van de klauwijzers en de standaard.

Bij de heropbouw van de standaardmolen opteerde Jules Lievens voor een gesloten voet. Na een orkaan in november 1940 werd het teerlingenkot afgebroken om het gebinte te kunnen herstellen. Voor deze werken werd beroep gedaan op de molenbouwers Achiel (1883-1952) en Henri (1892-1965) Lejeune. In 1949 vervaardigde Achiel Lejeune ook een nieuw vangwiel voor de molen, die de Tweede Wereldoorlog bijna ongeschonden doorkwam.

De naast het molenaarshuis gelegen mechanische maalderij, uitgerust met één koppel stenen en aangedreven door een scheepsmotor, gebruikte molenaar-pachter Gaston Vercoutere enkel bij windstilte. Indien enigszins mogelijk liet hij de windmolen renderen. Om de windkracht te optimaliseren had hij de buitenste helft van de binnenroede voorzien van het wiekenverbeteringssysteem Fauël. Uitgerust met deze halve fokwiek bleef de Steenakkermolen malen tot 1975. Door het gebrekkig, door de eigenaar te dragen onderhoud aan het staand werk (in het bijzonder aan de kruisplaten en de steekbanden) was het niet meer te verantwoorden om nog langer te windmalen.

In 1978 kocht de provincie West-Vlaanderen de Steenakkermolen. In afwachting van de restauratie werd de standaardmolen in 1982 voorlopig gestut om het omwaaien te voorkomen. In 1987 werden de molenvoet en de trap hersteld, waardoor de stutten konden weggenomen worden.

In 1992-1993 volgde een maalvaardige restauratie naar ontwerp van Christiaan Van Sassenbroeck, architect bij de Provinciale Dienst voor Cultuur. Bij de restauratie, die werd uitgevoerd door de Bouwonderneming Verstraete n.v. uit Rumbeke, werden alle nog bruikbare molenonderdelen gerecupereerd. Zo bleven de standaard, de steenbalk, de middenlijsten en nog een aantal verticale balken geheel of gedeeltelijk bewaard. De rest werd grotendeels vernieuwd.

Omstreeks 2010 drongen zich aan de Steenakkermolen opnieuw restauratiewerken op. De staart was getorst, de molenkast helde vervaarlijk over naar links en de kruisplaten vertoonden rotte koppen en sporen van de grote boktor. Het contact- en draagvlak van de tenen van één van de buitenste steekbanden (meesterbanden) van de hoge teerling en één van de meesterbanden van de lage teerling was verstoord, waardoor de stabiliteit van de molen geenszins nog was verzekerd. Ook steunde de standaard, die bovendien door de grote klopkever was aangetast, te veel op de bovenste kruisplaat. Tevens bleek de steenbalk gespleten. De meest dringende werken waren dan ook het vervangen van de kruisplaten, alsook het vernieuwen van de standaard, de steenbalk en de zetel. Het duurde evenwel nog tot juli 2013 vooraleer de molenkast door Molenbouw Peusens bvba werd gestut in afwachting van de effectieve restauratie. Deze vond plaats in tussen oktober 2014 en mei 2015 naar ontwerp van architecte Sabine Okkerse. Voor de uitvoering tekenden de molenbouwers Roland en Kris Wieme.

Beschrijving
De houten Steenakkermolen is een standaardmolen met open voet, rustend op vier bakstenen teerlingen. De molenkast steekt onder een mansardekap, die net als de windzijde (windweeg) is gedekt met kunstleien. De voor- en zijkanten van de molenkast is voorzien va een verticale plankenbeschieting. De ijzeren buitenroede is vermoedelijk de oudste nog bestaande Verhaeghe-roede uit de periode vóór 1897. De functie als korenmolen laat zich aflezen in de uitrusting van de hoge meelzolder met een builmolen en een haverpletter en van de steenzolder met twee koppels maalstenen. De windkracht zet zich via het voorwiel en het vangwiel op de molenas over op deze uitrusting.

Op de standaard bleef de inscriptie “L. VAN/POUCKE/peiter / 1790” bewaard, en op het klauwijzer van de voormolen de inscripties “P.D.L.” en “1790”. De middenlijst vermeldt “Karel van Brabant 18?2”.

bron (visit link)
Extra info (visit link)
-----------------------------

The Steenakkermolen, also known as the Dodenmolen, is a standard open-footed mill and serves as a corn windmill. The wooden windmill is located on the corner of the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwstraat and the Waterstraat in the Langemark hamlet of Sint-Juliaan.

History
The origins of Steenakkermolen go back at least to the first half of the 15th century. The oldest record dates from 1439: "In Langhemarcq, ...oostwaerd vanden straetkine dat strect ten steen ackere meulne waerd". In the 17th century, the wooden windmill was mentioned several times as a reference point in leggers and accompanying registers. The Count de Ferraris' cabinet map (1771-1778) also shows the mill. A public sale of the mill in 1854 shows that the Steenakkermolen had a horse mill to bridge periods of windlessness. The mill also included a miller's house and some land.

At the beginning of the First World War, more specifically at the end of October 1914 during the First Battle of Ypres, the Steenakkermolen went up in flames. After the war, in 1923, Jules Lievens-Standaert, who had bought the mill site in 1922, had another windmill built on the same location. To this end he had moved the Kruisbergmolen from Pittem to Langemark in 1923, having bought it earlier that year from the heirs of miller Karel Van Brabant. This mill was built in Pittem in 1789-1790 by Pieter Hoste, a millwright from Ruiseleedse, on behalf of miller Lodewijk van Poucke. The inscriptions on one of the clawfeet and the stand still remind us of this building date.

When rebuilding the standard mill, Jules Lievens opted for a closed base. After a hurricane in November 1940, the framework was demolished in order to repair the trusses. For these works, the mill builders Achiel (1883-1952) and Henri (1892-1965) Lejeune were called in. In 1949, Achiel Lejeune also built a new pinion wheel for the mill, which survived the Second World War almost intact.

The mechanical grinding mill, located next to the miller's house and equipped with one stone and driven by a ship's motor, was only used by miller-landlord Gaston Vercoutere when there was no wind. If at all possible, he let the windmill run. In order to optimise wind power, he had the outer half of the inner sail fitted with the Fauël windvane system. Equipped with this half jib, the Steenakkermolen continued to grind until 1975. Due to the poor maintenance of the upright work (in particular the cross plates and the straps), which had to be borne by the owner, it was no longer justifiable to continue grinding.

In 1978, the province of West Flanders bought the Steenakkermolen. Pending restoration, the standard mill was temporarily propped up in 1982 to prevent it from blowing over. In 1987 the base of the mill and the stairs were repaired so that the props could be removed.

In 1992-1993 there followed a mill-saving restoration according to the design of Christiaan Van Sassenbroeck, architect at the Provincial Department of Culture. During the restoration, which was carried out by the construction company Verstraete n.v. from Rumbeke, all the mill parts that could still be used were recovered. Thus the stand, the stone beam, the middle frames and a number of vertical beams were partially or entirely preserved. The rest was largely renewed.

Around 2010, the Steenakkermolen had to be restored again. The tail was twisted, the mill case leaned dangerously over to the left and the cross plates showed rotten heads and traces of the large longhorn beetle. The contact and load-bearing surface of the toes of one of the outer straps (master straps) of the high tegument and one of the master straps of the low tegument had been disturbed, so that the stability of the mill was by no means assured. The stand, which had also been damaged by the large polypitch, rested too much on the top cross-beam. The stone beam also appeared to be split. The most urgent works were therefore the replacement of the cross slabs, as well as the renewal of the standard, the stone beam and the seat. However, it was not until July 2013 that Molenbouw Peusens bvba propped up the mill case in anticipation of the actual restoration. This took place between October 2014 and May 2015 to the design of architect Sabine Okkerse. The mill builders Roland and Kris Wieme were responsible for the construction.

Description
The wooden Steenakkermolen is a standard mill with an open base, resting on four brick pegs. The mill case is covered by a mansard roof, which is covered with artificial slates, as is the windward side (windward side). The front and sides of the miller's box are covered with vertical boards. The iron outer rod is probably the oldest existing Verhaeghe rod from the period before 1897. Its function as a corn mill can be seen in the equipment of the high flour loft with a bucket mill and an oat crusher and of the stone loft with two pairs of grinding stones. Wind power is transmitted to this equipment via the front wheel and the catch wheel on the mill shaft.

The inscription "L. VAN/POUCKE/peiter / 1790" is preserved, and on the claw of the front mill the inscriptions "P.D.L." and "1790". The middle frame reads "Karel van Brabant 18?2".

source (visit link)
Extra info (visit link)
Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1790

Purpose: Milling

Is This Windmill Functional?: Not Sure

Windmill Farm: no

Museum on Site: no

Open to the public: Not Listed

Cost: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Andre 61 visited Steenakkermolen of Dodenmolen - Langemark-Poelkapelle - Belgium 6/22/2022 Andre 61 visited it