POW-MIA Museum - Jefferson Barracks - Lemay, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 30.386 W 090° 16.928
15S E 736991 N 4265508
Quick Description: This is building #64 in the NRHP Listings. This building is outside the current base and belongs to the St. Louis County Parks Department.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 1/24/2022 4:02:49 AM
Waymark Code: WM15N0M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of building: St. Louis County
Location of building: Hancock Ave., just E. of Gregg Rd., Jefferson Barracks, Lemay
Built: 1898
Architect: Richard Deutman & Son
Architectural Style: Two-Story Duplex
Original Occupant: Army Officers Quarters
Current Occupant: POW/MIA Museum
Phone: 314-655-8816

"The Mission of the Jefferson Barracks POW-MIA Museum is to reverently honor all who served our country in any branch of the United States military, who were captured by enemies of the United States, or who are missing in action, from any year and from any conflict. This Mission includes raising the awareness of the American public to the numbers of captured Americans who returned to us alive, and to the numbers of those who perished in captivity, and to the numbers of those service personnel missing who have not yet been returned to us for the homage they deserve." ~ POW/MIA Museum


"64. #16-18 Double Set of Officer's Quarters. 16 Hancock Ave.. 1898 C
16-18 Hancock Avenue is a two story duplex that was built using Quartermaster plan 115 and was constructed by Richard Deutman & Son architects. The unattached double garage located behind building 16-18 Hancock is constructed of a warm gray concrete block with beveled edges. The building has a flat roof and a stepped block parapet in front. Side windows are filled with 20 glass blocks. This building has benefited from a restoration conducted when the owner, the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation leased it to the Civilian Conservation Corps Alumni Association. Its frame second-floor portions have been returned to their original clapboard covering, and the front gables have bull's-eye windows. A concrete ramp along the east side has railings and latticework to match the front porches." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

Opening hours: Currently Close for Renovations (& COVID Restrictions)

Open all year: No

Related web-page: [Web Link]

Wikipedia link:: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Please supply proof of your visit such as a photo of the museum or a sign signifying same.
A "Visited" only remark will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest War and Military Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.