St. Francis Borgia Convent & School - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.620 W 091° 00.871
15S E 672993 N 4269856
Quick Description: 314 2nd St. built in 1890; back half, 225 Cedar St., built in 1916.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/9/2021 5:20:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM158MT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 0

Long Description:

County of building: Franklin County
Location of building: W. 2nd St. & Cedar St., SE corner side, Washington
Built: 1890
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Classified: C-1
Current Occupant: Grade School
District Map

The frieze works are small, and in select locations on the building. They are all similar, and resemble huge leaves with eyes on the bottom.


"Revival Styles, circa 1888 - 1925. Coded C
With a few exceptions the Revival styles are expressed principally in detailing on commercial buildings, and in plan or roof forms in domestic structures. Frequently an ornamental pressed brick or metal cornice is the sole Revival feature on commercial/residential properties, the buildings otherwise maintain the standard planar, segmentally arched brick facades. ... Although Romanesque detailing is employed around the two-story, center entrance-bay of 225 Cedar, standard segmentally arched fenestration patterns articulate the 1890 former parochial school building. ... pilaster strips articulate St. Francis Borgia Church and the façade of its 1895 rectory which was designed to harmonize with the church building, although the round-arched corbel table trim of both buildings evokes Early Romanesque Revival.

"Institutional. 1866-1934. Coded 1.
The District's eight institutional buildings are represented by all of the stylistic classifications and have been discussed above. The group includes the U.S. Post Office at 123 Lafayette, the Masonic Lodge at 109 Lafayette, and six buildings associated with St. Francis Borgia parish." ~ NRHP Nomination Form


"North half of this bldg. was erected in 1890 as a convent & school for St. Francis Borgia. In 1916 after the south half was constructed and the entire bldg. was used as a school. The north half was originally constructed with a third floor which was removed circa 1970." ~ Washington Historical Survey  PDF pages 46-48


Marker mounted on building:
Marker Text:

ST FRANCIS BORGIA
CONVENT & SCHOOL
The cornerstone was laid for a new convnet built large enough to accommodate future school rooms on June 15, 1890. In 1916, property was purchased nearby for a convent and the southern half of this structure was built to house a growing Catholic grade school.
1890

Artist: Unknown

Address:
314 W. 2nd St.,
Washington, MO 62090


Web URL to relevant information: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.