House by the "Town Gates"
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Navy72
N 38° 58.691 W 076° 29.745
18S E 370437 N 4315419
Quick Description: The House by the "Town Gates" was originally constructed in the second quarter of the 19th century as a single-family dwelling. The property was originally the site of the Annapolis "Town Gates."
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/19/2007 1:44:06 PM
Waymark Code: WM158H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 27

Long Description:
Source: Maryland Historical Trust website cited as Secondary below.

Description: The House by the "Town Gates" is a large and imposing brick building, 2 1/2 stories high and five bays wide. Flush chimneys rise from each gable end. The entrance in the center bay of the north facade, surmounted by a four-light transom, is flanked by 9/6 sash windows. The second floor holds five 6/6 windows, and the three gabled dormers on the roof also hold 6/6 windows. Windows on the front façade have brick jack arches. A corbeled brick cornice runs across the front façade. An early 20th century storefront, visible in a c. 1908 photograph, has been removed. The east gable end, laid up in five-course American bond, holds two 6/6 windows on the second floor and two small four-light windows at the attic level. The west gable end abuts the adjacent commercial building, which was constructed in 1889. The south elevation includes a two-story rear wing and a single central dormer with pairs of 6/6 sash windows. The dormer is wider than would be typical for the building¿s original period of construction, and probably dates to the early 20th century. The interior of the building retains little historic fabric.

Significance: The House by the "Town Gates" was originally constructed in the second quarter of the 19th century as a single-family dwelling. The property was originally the site of the Annapolis "Town Gates." The dwelling was converted into commercial spaces by the latter part of the 19th century. The first known owner of the "House by the Town Gates" was Vachel Seviere who acquired the lot in 1832. Seviere¿s house appears to have been built directly on the site where an early street, Sobieski Street, once joined the intersection of Calvert, Cathedral, and West Streets. With the erection of the house, Sobieski Street disappeared with the exception of a short cobblestone alley along the west side of the building. This alley is the only undisturbed example of original cobblestone paving known in Annapolis.
Street address:
63 West St.
Annapolis, MD United States
21401


County / Borough / Parish: Anne Arundel County

Year listed: 1973

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1825-1849

Historic function: Domestic

Current function: Vacant/Not In Use

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Searcher28 visited House by the "Town Gates" 10/18/2014 Searcher28 visited it
WayBetterFinder visited House by the "Town Gates" 6/19/2012 WayBetterFinder visited it

View all visits/logs