John Callahan House
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Navy72
N 38° 58.640 W 076° 29.404
18S E 370928 N 4315317
Quick Description: The John Callahan House is a significant example of colonial craftsmanship and design, and ranks among the major architectural monuments of Annapolis. The house, built around 1785-90, has been moved twice in efforts to prevent its demolition.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 1/19/2007 1:30:34 PM
Waymark Code: WM158F
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 24

Long Description:
Source: Maryland Historical Trust website cited in Secondary below.

Description: Distinguished in the City of Annapolis for its unusual gable-end principal façade and its largely intact Georgian/Federal interior finishes, the John Callahan house, built around 1785-90, has been moved twice in efforts to prevent its demolition. Originally erected on the corner of Tabernacle (College) and Lawyer (Bladen) Streets, the house was relocated to St. John¿s Street in 1900-01, and then to its present site on Conduit Street in 1972. The well-crafted Flemish and English bond elevations are marked by regularly spaced 12/12 and 12/8 sash window openings featuring brick jack arches undercut with a segmental arch. The pedimented front entrance is particularly noteworthy with its fluted pilasters that rise to a Doric frieze articulated with triglyphs. Fixed in the upper gable end is a round-arched window with interlacing muntins. The house is significant also for its intact interiors of 1780s Georgian-Federal woodwork. The first and second floors follow a four-room disposition with the stairhall located in the front, southwest corner. The cylindrical turned newel post and three rectangular balusters per tread support a molded handrail that ramps as it meets the first landing. The stringer is embellished with a Federal scroll decoration. Also distinguishing the interior are built-in shutters on the first floor and original six-panel doors, ogee backband surround moldings, and several original mantels.

Significance: Credit for the construction of this well-appointed brick house is awarded to John Callahan (c. 1754-1803), a prominent and wealthy Annapolitan who served as the Register of the Western Shore Land Office between 1778 and 1803. The John Callahan House is a significant example of colonial craftsmanship and design, and ranks among the major architectural monuments of Annapolis.

Street address:
164 Conduit St.
Annapolis, MD United States
21401


County / Borough / Parish: Anne Arundel County

Year listed: 1973

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event

Periods of significance: 1750-1799

Historic function: Domestic

Current function: Domestic

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Privately owned?: Not Listed

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Searcher28 visited John Callahan House 9/26/2015 Searcher28 visited it
WayBetterFinder visited John Callahan House 10/20/2010 WayBetterFinder visited it

View all visits/logs