Holy Trinity church - Yeaveley, Derbyshire, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 57.583 W 001° 43.447
30U E 585702 N 5868551
Quick Description: Holy Trinity Church, Yeaveley is a Grade II listed parish church.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/26/2021 12:41:27 AM
Waymark Code: WM15192
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Holy Trinity Church is a simple, but attractive building, of red brick with nave and an embattled western tower containing one bell. In 1895, it was said to be nearly covered in ivy. Its parish registers begin in 1841. The living in 1895 was a vicarage, in the gift of the vicar of Shirley, and had been held since 1844 by Rev. William Buck Dearden, who was also vicar and resided at Alkmonton.

The return to the Religious Census of 1851 (HO 129/447/1/11/14) was however completed by E.W. Michell, Vicar of Shirley, with an address of "Shirley Vicarage". He described the building as "Trinity Church - Church of a District ordered in Council under 16 Section of 59 of George 3rd. Cap 134", noting that it was consecrated in May 1840 "in lieu of an Old Church", and that it had 74 free sittings, and 80 other sittings. The average congregation over the previous 3 months had been 60 in the mornings and 75 in afternoons, with 40 and 36 Sunday Scholars respectively, and no evening service. These figures are however deceptive, suggesting there were 2 services, but in practice there was only one, as indicated by Rev. Michell remarks that "the Service is at present but once on Sundays, alternately morning and afternoon".

An account of the church's history, available on the Ashbourne Deanery website, indicates that some portions of the old church were saved, and installed in the new church. Of particular mention is an original painted royal coat of arms, which hangs above the east window. The account tells us that the practice of displaying the coat of arms of the monarch dates back to the time of the Reformation, with the arms being changed for each new monarch, but the custom fell into disuse during the Hanoverian period. This suggests that the original building must have been at least a century older than the present day church. In addition, two boards, featuring the Ten Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Creed, which hang either side of the east window, may indicate an even earlier date. It was the custom to display similar tablets before the Reformation, but their placement may have been dictated by a Canon law of 1603 "that the Ten Commandments be set-up on the east end of every church, where the people may best see and read the same"."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.