First Presbyterian Church Art - Boonville, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 58.419 W 092° 44.601
15S E 522232 N 4313883
Quick Description: Beautiful Baroque Building with lots of great frieze work.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 9/19/2021 4:29:13 AM
Waymark Code: WM14ZP9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 2

Long Description:

County of church: Cooper County
Location of church: Main St. & Vine St., NW corner, Boonville
Built: 1904
Architect: Unknown
Architectural Style: Baroque
Contractor: W. J. Cochran Construction Co.
Phone: (660) 882-6813

"The primary façade is cantoned by rectangular 45' towers at the NE and SE corners. These are embellished by corner pilasters with ornate caps which feature both an egg & dart and floral motif. Entrances in these towers are flanked by brick columns with ionic caps, and capped by large consoles and a denticulated pediment. The entrance has a semi-circular stained glass transom. Over this is a large rectangular stained glass window with a concrete surrounds. Capping the tower is a wide denticulated entablature, a balustrade with spindles and crests, and a polygonal hip dormer with ornate finial. The central section of the E façade is embellished by a large palladian stained glass window. It repeats the pilaster and cap motifs and is capped by a pediment with dentils and a stained glass attic window. The N facade is somewhat plain, however there is a projecting gabled bay without a window, The S façade repeats the classical motifs of the buff brick structure. A palladian window is flanked by smaller stained glass windows. The SW corner has a projecting rectangular bay which has a 2nd story pedimented wall dormer. A later addition (1920'5) on the S façade is a 1 story entrance vestible. It also repeats the classical motifs. The W façade has arched windows 1st story, rectangular 2nd story, all stained glass. A 1920'5 addition connects it to the parsonage and Sunday school area. This 1 story addition has a double leaf entrance with transom, corner lights and sidelights to the S. The 1 story brick Sunday school addition was built in the 1920'5 and is on the NW corner of the whole structure. It sits on a concrete foundation. Openings have no headers. An entrance to the basement and a 1st story entrance with a lattice porch is to the S. The Education Building and Church offices are in a 2 story brick structure at the SW corner of the whole complex and is listed separately listed as 417 Vine.

"The present church replaces two prior Presbyterian Churches that were erected in 1841 and 1872. Erected 1n 1904, at a cost of $21,414.07, the church is significant as being Boonville's only example of Baroque architecture. The walnut chancel was made from woodwork original to the second church. The pipe organ was presented 1n 1941 by the Pigott, Johnston and Hitch families and was origina1ly a theater organ from Kansas City The congregation has traditionally been the largest of any of the Protestant churches in Boonville. Prior to and during the Civil War, a Rev. H.M. Painter, (1855-62), a staunch pro-South advocate, was removed from the church and replaced in Vermont.

"The structure Sits at the SW corner of Main and Vine Sts., facing E onto Main. An alley is to the W. There are no outbuildings. The parsonage/office is listed seperate1y as 417 Vine St." ~ Boonville Historic Survey  PDF pages 1968-1971

Artist: Unknown

Web URL to relevant information: [Web Link]

Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.