Église Saint-Charles-Borromée de Bastia - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 41.711 E 009° 26.874
32T E 536688 N 4727063
Quick Description: L'église a été construite à partir de 1612 et appartenait alors au collège des Jésuites. En 1629, poursuite du projet. C'est un édifice baroque avec façade classique à pilastres sur deux étages, couronnée par un fronton triangulaire.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 9/5/2021 12:22:58 AM
Waymark Code: WM14X2Y
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 1

Long Description:

The church was built from 1612 and belonged to the Jesuit College. In 1629, the project was continued. It is a baroque building with a classical two-storey pilastered façade, crowned by a triangular pediment.


Église Saint-Charles-Borromée de Bastia

Credits

L'église Saint-Charles-Borromée, en corse San Carlu est le nom d'une église du centre historique de Bastia, en Haute-Corse.
Histoire
À l'origine l'église était dédiée à saint Ignace de Loyola. Elle fut construite par les jésuites en 1635.
Au XVIIIème siècle, les génois rasèrent la première Eglise au monde dédiée à Saint-Charles, située dans le quartier Romieu à Bastia et édifiée en 1619.
Après l'expulsion de l'ordre des jésuites en 1769, l'édifice fut concédé à la confrérie de San Carlu et l'église changea de vocable, étant depuis dédiée à saint Charles Borromée.
L'église est inscrite au titre des monuments historiques en 2007.

Description
La façade est caractéristique du style jésuite : elle prend modèle sur l'église du Gesù, à Rome.
Elle est composée de deux niveaux scandés de pilastres. L'étage supérieur est plus étroit, avec un fronton triangulaire flanqué de deux grandes volutes.

La façade et l'escalier monumental de San Carlu
De part et d'autre de la porte d'entrée on peut voir les statues de saint François Xavier et de saint Ignace de Loyola.

Intérieur
C'est dans cette église qu'est enterré Domenico Maria Spinola, ancien doge de la République de Gênes. Il a été aussi gouverneur de Corse. Né et mort à Bastia, il était surnommé Il Corsetto.

Les environs de l'église
Au pied de l'escalier Saint-Charles on peut trouver une fontaine, appelée fontaine des Jésuites, ou E trè funtane car composée de trois niches percées de bouches. Elle a été agrandie et restaurée en 1574. Deux grandes plaques rappellent les restaurations de 1722 et 1806.

Le couvent des Jésuites est le plus ancien de la ville. Il a été ouvert en 1635. Les Jésuites ont assuré l'enseignement secondaire pendant la période génoise. Ils ont été expulsés de Corse (comme de tout le royaume) par Louis XV en 1768-1769. Il abrite aujourd'hui les salles de cours du collège Simon-Jean Vinciguerra.


Saint-Charles-Borromée Church in Bastia

The church of Saint-Charles-Borromée, in Corsican San Carlu, is the name of a church in the historic centre of Bastia, in Haute-Corse.
History
The church was originally dedicated to Saint Ignatius of Loyola. It was built by the Jesuits in 1635.
In the 18th century, the Genoese razed the world's first church dedicated to Saint Charles, located in the Romieu district of Bastia and built in 1619.
After the expulsion of the Jesuit order in 1769, the building was conceded to the brotherhood of San Carlu and the church changed its name, being since dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo.
The church was listed as a historical monument in 2007.

Description
The façade is characteristic of the Jesuit style: it is modelled on the church of the Gesù in Rome.
It is composed of two levels with pilasters. The upper floor is narrower, with a triangular pediment flanked by two large volutes.

The façade and monumental staircase of San Carlu
The statues of St. Francis Xavier and St. Ignatius of Loyola can be seen on either side of the entrance door.

Interior
In this church is buried Domenico Maria Spinola, former doge of the Republic of Genoa. He was also governor of Corsica. Born and died in Bastia, he was nicknamed Il Corsetto.

The surroundings of the church
At the foot of the Saint-Charles staircase, there is a fountain, called the Jesuits' fountain, or E trè funtane, because it is composed of three niches with mouths. It was enlarged and restored in 1574. Two large plaques recall the restorations of 1722 and 1806.

The Jesuit convent is the oldest in the city. It was opened in 1635. The Jesuits provided secondary education during the Genoese period. They were expelled from Corsica (as from the whole kingdom) by Louis XV in 1768-1769. Today it houses the classrooms of the Simon-Jean Vinciguerra College.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1635

Diocese: Bastia

Address/Location:
Rue Jean-baptiste de Caraffa
Bastia, France
20000


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.