Hedley Grace Church - Hedley, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 49° 21.458 W 120° 04.529
10U E 712356 N 5471327
Quick Description: Now a member of the Congregational Christian Churches of Canada (CCCC), this church was originally a Methodist Church. This was the first, and for many years the only, church built in the mining town of Hedley.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/31/2021 1:56:52 PM
Waymark Code: WM14WE3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Weathervane
Views: 0

Long Description:
Built in 1903, Grace Methodist Church opened toward the end on 1903. It was built by mostly volunteer labour under the direction of Reverend J. W. Hedley. One might think that the town of Hedley had been named after the good reverend, but such was not the case. It was named after Robert R. Hedley, then manager of the Hall Mines smelter in Nelson, who had grubstaked the owner of the Rollo mine in Hedley around 1897.

Not long after the construction of Grace Methodist, the Presbyterians began to hold services in the town, usually in Fraternity Hall, which came to be shared on alternating Sundays with the Anglicans. The Presbyterians and Methodists worked together in Hedley, and Hedley became a Union congregation in 1923. This was two years before official Church Union in Canada, which took place on June 10th, 1925, thereby creating the United Church of Canada.

Not only was this the first church and the first school in Hedley, it became the first building in Hedley with electric lighting when the lights were turned on for the first time in April of 1904. That same year much of the rest of the town was wired to the town's generator, which was operated by a steam engine.


Hedley Grace Church
DESCRIPTION OF HISTORIC PLACE
Hedley Grace Church is a small church building located on 864 Ellis Avenue in Hedley, British Columbia. It is positioned on Lot 5-6, Block 42, District Lot 1975, Similkameen Divison Yale District, Plan 2565. Situated adjacent to Woodlie Park, the building features a white stucco exterior, green roof, with green trim, varnished doors and a wooden cross mounted over the entrance.

The Hedley Grace Church is valued today as a site of continuous spiritual worship since the early 20th century. The first service at the site is known to have occurred as early as 1901, when Rev. E.E. Hardwick, an employee at the local mine, held services in a tent at this location. A year later, Grace Methodist Church was constructed on donated land with volunteer labour and under the direction of Rev. J.W. Hedley. The rear of the church building hosted Hedley’s first school, along with the first Library, and the headquarters of the Twentieth Century Club in 1903.

Throughout the years, the building has housed a number of religious denominations, including the Methodist Church (1902), the United Church (1925), the Keremeos Ecumenical Parish (1969), and Hedley Grace Church (2008). Since inception, the church building has played a prominent role in the social, cultural, and spiritual fabric of the community.

HERITAGE VALUES
The building holds aesthetic value, for its physical features are true to architectural design of its time, many of which sit in their original form today. The cultural value of the site is apparent in the church mandate of community service of the church having served the community of Hedley for 113 years. The spiritual value of the site is embodied in the site's being a place of spiritual worship and guidance, including Sunday school, Bible teachings, and regular Sunday services. Social value of the site is exemplified in that the church has served as a gathering place for community activities, including potlucks, Christmas and Easter pageants, and an emergency centre in times of crisis. Having functioned as a school and library, the site holds educational value for residents. Finally, Hedley Grace Church has provided significant economic value to the community, having provided donations for numerous community projects, such as sending children to summer camp, and providing hampers to families and individuals in need.

CHARACTER-DEFINING ELEMENTS
- Original doors and windows;
- Original chairs in the sanctuary and Sunday school room;
- A wooden cross on vestibule;
- The original platform;
- Fir wood floors;
- The original piano;
- Stucco siding from the 1930s;
- Built with 1” x 6” Shiplap
From the RDOS Heritage Register
Grace Church Grace Church
Grace Church Grace Church
Official Heritage Registry: [Web Link]

Heritage Registry Page Number: Individual pages, not numbered

Address:
864 Ellis Avenue
Hedley, BC
V0X 1K0


Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to a Waymark in this category at least one photo of the property, taken by the visitor, must be included with the visit, as well any comments they have concerning either their visit or the site itself. Suggested inclusions are: what you like about the site, its history, any deviations from the description in the heritage listing noted by the visitor, and the overall state of repair of the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Western Canadian Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.