Sint-Michielskerk - Leuven, Belgium
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 52.567 E 004° 42.050
31U E 619660 N 5637426
Quick Description: [EN] The Saint-Michel de Louvain Church is a former Baroque-style Jesuit church located on the Naamsestraat in Leuven. [FR] L’Église Saint-Michel de Louvain est une ancienne église jésuite de style baroque se trouvant sur la Naamsestraat, à Louvain. [NL] De Sint-Michielskerk is een voormalige jezuïetenkerk in barokstijl in de Naamsestraat in Leuven.
Location: Vlaams-Brabant, Belgium
Date Posted: 8/15/2021 5:22:35 AM
Waymark Code: WM14RCC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member prussel
Views: 1

Long Description:

" In 1650 a church was started. Father Willem Van Hees (1601-1690) is the architect. It was completed in 1671 and was used for two centuries for the pastoral and academic activities of the neighboring theological college.

In 1773, when the Jesuits were expelled from their college (The Company of Jesus being suppressed) the church became a parish, taking the surname of a Romanesque church in the Tiensestraat, demolished because it was unsanitary.

During the French revolutionary period worship was prohibited and the church became a "Temple of Reason". This did not last: it was returned to Catholic worship in 1803.

The church was severely damaged during World War II. In 1944 the bombardments collapsed the vault of the central nave.

The reconstruction lasted three years, from 1947 to 1950. Already classified in 1940, it was again placed on the list of protected monuments in 1970. Closed in 1983 because in poor condition, it reopened in 1998 after complete restoration work.

Saint-Michel is still the parish church in the center of Louvain. Elegant and refined baroque style, it is considered one of the seven wonders of the university city. Many cultural and religious events are organized there."

Sources : The Church

Photo goes Here

"En 1650 une église est mise en chantier. Le père Willem Van Hees (1601-1690) en est l’architecte. Elle est achevée en 1671 et est utilisée durant deux siècles pour les activités pastorales et académiques du collège théologique voisin.

En 1773, lorsque les jésuites sont expulsés de leur collège (La Compagnie de Jésus étant supprimée) l’église devient paroissiale, reprenant le patronyme d'une église romane de la Tiensestraat, démolie parce qu’insalubre.

Durant la période révolutionnaire française le culte est interdit et l’église devient un ‘Temple de la Raison’. Cela ne dure pas : elle est rendue au culte catholique en 1803.

L’église est considérablement endommagée durant la Seconde Guerre mondiale. En 1944 les bombardements font s’écrouler la voûte de la nef centrale.

La reconstruction dure trois ans, de 1947 à 1950. Déjà classée en 1940 elle est à nouveau placée sur la liste des monuments protégés en 1970. Fermée en 1983 car en mauvais état, elle est rouverte en 1998 après des travaux de restauration complète.

Saint-Michel est toujours église paroissiale du centre de Louvain. De style baroque élégant et raffiné, elle est considérée comme une des sept merveilles de la ville universitaire. De nombreux événements culturels et religieux y sont organisés. "

Sources : L'Eglise

Photo goes Here

"In 1650 werd een kerk gesticht. Vader Willem Van Hees (1601-1690) is de architect. Het werd voltooid in 1671 en werd twee eeuwen lang gebruikt voor de pastorale en academische activiteiten van de naburige theologische hogeschool.

In 1773, toen de jezuïeten van hun college werden verdreven (de Compagnie van Jezus werd opgeheven), werd de kerk een parochie, die de achternaam kreeg van een Romaanse kerk in de Tiensestraat, afgebroken omdat ze onhygiënisch was.

Tijdens de Franse revolutionaire periode was aanbidding verboden en werd de kerk een "Tempel van de Rede". Dit duurde niet lang: het werd in 1803 teruggegeven aan de katholieke eredienst.

Tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog werd de kerk zwaar beschadigd. In 1944 stortten de bombardementen het gewelf van het middenschip in.

De wederopbouw duurde drie jaar, van 1947 tot 1950. Al in 1940 geclassificeerd, werd het opnieuw op de lijst van beschermde monumenten geplaatst in 1970. Gesloten in 1983 omdat het in slechte staat verkeerde, werd het in 1998 heropend na volledige restauratiewerkzaamheden.

Saint-Michel is nog steeds de parochiekerk in het centrum van Leuven. Elegante en verfijnde barokke stijl, het wordt beschouwd als een van de zeven wonderen van de universiteitsstad. Er worden veel culturele en religieuze evenementen georganiseerd."

Sources : de Kerk

Style: Baroque

Type of building (structure): Large religious building (church, monastery, synagogue...)

Date of origin:: 1/1/1650

Architect(s): Willem Van Hees

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Address:
Naamsestraat 57a Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant Belgium 3000


Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the structure. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Baroque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
pmaupin visited Sint-Michielskerk - Leuven, Belgium 8/15/2021 pmaupin visited it