Royal Bank - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 50° 40.562 W 120° 20.185
10U E 688187 N 5617184
Quick Description: In the old section of Downtown Kamloops stand the original banks to come to Kamloops shortly after 1910, one of which is this, the Royal Bank.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/13/2021 12:42:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM14R51
Views: 0

Long Description:
Kamloops One of the finest bank buildings erected in the City of Kamloops, this one time Royal Bank Building was built in 1911/1912, during Kamloops' boom years of 1910 to 1915. Unfortunately, not much of the original façade remains in place. While the brick columns remain, their finest features, the Corinthian capitals, are gone, as are the building's arched windows. The striped fabric awnings have now been replaced with contemporary imitations. All that does remain is the original cornice, with ornate brackets interspersed with square modillions underneath and a line of finer dentils below.

No longer the Royal Bank, the building is now occupied by the BDC, the Business Development Bank of Canada, which is not a bank in the classic sense, but a Crown corporation, the sole shareholder of which is the Government of Canada, which offers Financing, Venture capital and Advisory Services, to Canadian businesses and entrepreneurs.
ROYAL BANK
205 Victoria Street 1911/12
If the presence of banks is a sign of economic prosperity, then Kamloops was thriving in the early 1900s. A solid bank building stood on the corner of almost every downtown street. One of the finest banks was this brick two-storey structure built in 1911/12 by the Kamloops firm Johnston & Company.

High along the top edge of the building, the remains of an elaborate frieze are still visible. The front facade once featured attached, square brick columns with Corinthian-style capitals. Brick arches with a contrasting raised keystone topped each of the tall first floor windows. The first and second floor west windows were shaded with the striped awnings popular at the time. The west rear door featured a shallow, roofed porch. The unpaved streets were lined with beautiful cluster lights and tall trees.

Today, the bank corner has become part of a busy, commercial district, and the building has had many of its original architectural features changed or modified. It remains a noteworthy example of early Kamloops architecture. It has been occupied by the National Trust since 1972.
From the Plaque on the Building
ROYAL BANK
One of the finest bank buildings erected in Kamloops is this brick structure built in 1911\1912. The remains of an elaborate frieze can still be seen along the top edge of the building. The front façade once featured brick columns, arched windows, and striped awnings. The unpaved street was lined with cluster lights and tall trees.
From the Kamloops Heritage Commission
Photo goes Here
Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Only street parking is available nearby

What Agency placed the marker?: City of Kamloops

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.