Chiesa di S. Giovanni Calibita - Roma, Lazio
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member denben
N 41° 53.453 E 012° 28.665
33T E 290749 N 4640737
Quick Description: San Giovanni Calibita is a 17th century hospital and convent church located on the Tiber Island opposite San Bartolomeo all'Isola.
Location: Lazio, Italy
Date Posted: 8/6/2021 6:45:12 PM
Waymark Code: WM14PJ7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
From Wikipedia - "A church here is documented since the 14th century with the name of Sancti Ioannis de insula, and also Sancti Ioannis Cantofiume. But it is likely that a church was established over the site of the temple of Iuppiter Iurarius. Armellini says the first church here was raised by the soldiers of Genseric and rebuilt in 464 by Peter, bishop of Porto, who held the jurisdiction of the Isola Tiberina. However the oldest documentary annotation of this church is found in a 1018 bull by Pope Benedict VIII. For centuries it was attached to the nearby Benedictine monastery.

The present church was begun in 1584, atop the ruins of the older church. During this latter construction, the remains of the saint Giovanni Calibita, were putatively found under the main altar. The church was reconstructed in 1640, with the façade completed in 1711, and the rich interior painted decoration completed by 1742 by Corrado Giaquinto.

The church contains an icon of the Madonna della Lampada from the 13th century. This image traditionally was associated with a miracle: it was once at the river’s edge with a votive lamp, however during the flood of 1557, while submerged, the fire in the lamp was not extinguished." (visit link)

From romanchurches.fandom - "The church has a rectangular plan, of three bays with a transverse rectangular sanctuary. It is flanked by hospital buildings on both sides, the wing on the right being taller than the church. To the left of the façade, the large doorway leads into an alleyway which runs down the left hand side of the church to the hospital cloister, which is arcaded on all four sides.

The interior of the church is small, but very richly decorated with much polychrome marble work. The fresco decoration, completed in 1742, is mainly by Corrado Giaquinto." (visit link)

Note - The church is usually not open except on Sunday from 10:00 to 12:00. Mass is celebrated at 6:30 on weekdays combined with Lauds and Sunday at 11:00. No visitors are allowed to view the church during Mass or Vespers.
Codice di catalogo nazionale: 1200598936

Pagina del catalogo nazionale: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[IT]
- Fornisci almeno una foto del sito che hai scattato.
- Scrivi almeno una frase sulla tua visita al sito.

[EN]
- Provide at least one photo you have taken of the site.
- Write at least one sentence about your visit to the site.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Italian Cultural Heritage
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.