Schuenemeyer Saloon - Washington, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 38° 33.592 W 091° 00.696
15S E 673248 N 4269810
Vacant now, and being worked on, but was a saloon for a long time
Waymark Code: WM14NZP
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 08/03/2021
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member Geo Ferret
Views: 0

County of building: Franklin County
Location of building: W. Main St. & Lafayette St., SW corner, Washington
Built: 1880
Architectural Style: Italianate
Classified: B-3 & commercial
Current Occupant: Vacant
District Map

Marker Text:

Schuenemeyer Saloon
Fritz Schuenemeyer built this structure in 1880 and operated a saloon here. Later, the business was sold to and continued by Joseph Stamm.

History of Mark:
"Italianate/Second Empire, 1865-1900. Coded B.
These closely related styles are represented by fourteen buildings, ten of which are two or three story brick buildings with storefronts and flats above. Most are concentrated along Main Street. The salient stylistic features are bold, projecting cornices with wood brackets (some with incised scrollwork panels), or corbelled brickwork imitating brackets, and dormered mansard roofs. In other respects the buildings differ little from the standard 19th and early 20th century planar brick façade articulated with segmentally arched windows. ... also feature Italianate cornices as the primary stylistic element.

"Residential (c. 1849 - 1930) . Coded 3
This designation denotes fifteen buildings used only for residential purposes (all are detached, single-family except for two detached, multi-family), as well as numerous buildings which mix residential use with commercial and a few which are institutional/residential or industrial/residential and are doubled coded as such.

"Commercial, Coded With Black Bar
This designation indicates that historically the building (or part of it) was used for commercial purposes. Since very few properties were constructed exclusively for commerce, the black bar code at the front of the property parcel generally refers to a first story storefront." ~ NRHP Nomination Form

"Built: 1880
Style/Design: Italianate
Storefront has been altered.

"R. Gregory states the bldg. was erected in 1880 as a tavern and residence for Fritz Schuenemeyer who paid taxes on the parcel in 1884-85 when the parcel was owned by S.M. Jones. In 1887, Jos. Stamm opened a saloon there. In 1900, the John B. Busch Brewing Co. purchased the bldge. for $6,500 and sold it in 1923 to Herman Vedder." ~ DNR Historic Survey, phase II & III  PDF pages 586-587

Web link: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.