
200-204 Elm Street - Downtown Washington Historic District - Washington, MO
Posted by:
YoSam.
N 38° 33.593 W 091° 00.830
15S E 673053 N 4269808
This building is categorized as B-3 and Commercial. Address today is 200 thru 206.
Waymark Code: WM14NEB
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 08/01/2021
Views: 0
County of building: Franklin County
Location of building: Elm St. & 2nd St., SE corner, Washington
Built: 1885
Architectural Style: Italianate
Classified: B-3 & Commercial
Current Occupant: 200: I B Nuts & Fruit Too; 202: Vacant; 204: Vintage Trader (Antiques); 206: Land and title company
District Map
"Italianate/Second Empire, 1865-1900. Coded B
These closely related styles are represented by fourteen
buildings, ten of which are two or three story brick buildings with
storefronts and flats above. Most are concentrated along Main Street.
The salient stylistic features are bold, projecting cornices with wood
brackets (some with incised scrollwork panels), or corbelled brickwork
imitating brackets, and dormered mansard roofs. In other respects the
buildings differ little from the standard 19th and early 20th century
planar brick façade articulated with segmentally arched windows. ... also feature Italianate cornices as the primary stylistic element. ...
"Residential (c. 1849 - 1930) . Coded 3
This designation denotes fifteen buildings used only for residential
purposes (all are detached, single-family except for two detached,
multi-family), as well as numerous buildings which mix residential use
with commercial and a few which are institutional/residential or
industrial/residential and are doubled coded as such.
"Commercial. Coded With Black Bar
This designation indicates that historically the building (or part of
it) was used for commercial purposes. Since very few properties were
constructed exclusively for commerce, the black bar code at the of the property parcel generally refers to a first story storefront.
"Built: circa 1885
Style/Design: Italianate
Storefront has been altered; on corner paneling covers masonry. Brackets wooden overhang above storefront. Pressed tin cornice with tin brackets at corners.
"Anton and John B. Kahmann General Store, 1n bus1ness
1879-1897; after death of brother, John in 1897, Anton continued the business until 1923.
"First masonry addition at rear Circa 1940." ~ DNR Historic Survey, Phase II & III PDF pages 381-382