St Michael - Kniveton, Derbyshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 53° 03.020 W 001° 41.292
30U E 587930 N 5878674
Quick Description: 13th century medieval church of St Michael, Kniveton.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/26/2021 12:00:50 AM
Waymark Code: WM14F19
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 0

Long Description:
"St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Kniveton is a Grade I listed parish church in the Church of England in Kniveton.

The church was originally a chapelry to St Oswald's church in Ashbourne and was dedicated to St John the Baptist.

It has Norman origins as evidenced in the plain semi-circular arch of the porch. It is sited on a small hill, built of coursed rubble gritstone with ashlar dressings in the Early English style and dates from the 13th century; it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower with a short spire. At some point in its history the dedication changed to St Michael and All Angels.

The church was repewed in 1842.

The tower has two 17th-century bells, one dated 1665 inscribed “God save the King, 1665” and has the mark of George Oldfield. The second has round the hanuch three Lambaric capital S's alternating with three cross fleurys, and the bellmark generally attributed to Richard Mellour of Nottingham."

SOURCE - (visit link)

"The true dedication of Kniveton church is to St. John the Baptist, as stated by Dr. Pegge in his Collections, and as we are assured in the Liber Regis; but modern directories and the notice-board call St. Michael the patron saint.

St. Michael's church, Kniveton, has a 13th century west tower and a Norman south doorway. All the windows are renewed.

In normal use as St. Michael's (this dedication is local usage and the incumbents preference).

This church dates to the 12th century, 13th century, and c. 1663, with restoration work in 1870, and the vestry added in 1907. It is built of coursed rubble gritstone with ashlar dressings. It has a shallow pitched lead roof, with stone coped gables at the east and west ends and over the chancel arch. The church comprises nave and chancel, vestry, west tower and south porch. It has a plain 12th century south doorway with chamfered imposts. The west tower dates to the late 13th century, and has a small lancet window and plain chambered door to the nave. The tower also has square-headed two-light bell openings, battlements and a short spire, which are perp or later. The north and south walls of the church both have irregular fenestration - all windows are square-headed, some without divisions, and others with chamfered mullions. All are probably mid 17th century in date. Inside the church is a 13th century font, with a circular bowl that has pointed trefoils supported on a base of clustered columns. The date 1663 apparently refers to the time of its restoration to the church. It might also be the date when the windows were renewed. The west gallery is early 19th century in date, on two cast iron columns. There are 19th century poppy heads on the benches. On the nave north wall is an aedicule wall monument to Greenwood Holmes 1779. There are four 19th century stained glass windows."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.