Palais des Gouverneurs - Bastia - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 42° 41.600 E 009° 27.059
32T E 536941 N 4726859
Quick Description: Dominant l’anse du Vieux-port depuis ses jardins suspendus, ce cha^teau a e´te´ la re´sidence permanente des gouverneurs qui entretenaient des liens directs avec Ge^nes.
Location: Corse, France
Date Posted: 6/24/2021 12:28:35 PM
Waymark Code: WM14ER9
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dragontree
Views: 1

Long Description:

Overlooking the cove of the Old Port from its hanging gardens, this castle was the permanent residence of the governors who had direct links with Genoa.


Palais des Gouverneurs

Credits

A la fin du 14e siècle, au lendemain de l'incendie du château fort de Biguglia, fut construit à la demande du gouverneur gênois Leonello Lomelline le donjon, premier édifice de la citadelle. Un siècle plus tard, le site est entouré de remparts et le palais est élevé autour du donjon. En 1530 est ajouté, sur la façade principale, un campanile. Le palais des gouverneurs fut, pendant quatre siècles, le symbole de la domination gênoise. Au 18e siècle, le palais fut transformé en caserne par Napoléon. Le palais se compose d'une cour centrale et de quatre ailes s'ordonnant autour, auxquelles s'ajoutent le donjon et le bastion Saint-Charles. Ce dernier comprend, dans sa partie inférieure, deux poudrières. Avec ses salles voûtées en croisée d'ogive, cet édifice témoigne de l'architecture d'un palais fortifié génois. La propriété du bastion nord (anciennement propriété de l'Etat, ministère de la culture) a été transférée à la commune par rectificatif de l'acte de vente du Palais des Gouverneurs à la commune.


Governor's Palace

At the end of the 14th century, after the fire of the fortress of Biguglia, the keep was built at the request of the Genoese governor Leonello Lomelline, the first building of the citadel. A century later, the site was surrounded by ramparts and the palace was built around the keep. In 1530 a bell tower was added to the main façade. For four centuries the governors' palace was the symbol of Genovese domination. In the 18th century, the palace was transformed into barracks by Napoleon. The palace consists of a central courtyard and four wings arranged around it, to which are added the keep and the bastion of Saint Charles. The latter includes, in its lower part, two powder magazines. With its cross-vaulted rooms, this building bears witness to the architecture of a Genoese fortified palace. The ownership of the northern bastion (formerly the property of the State, Ministry of Culture) was transferred to the municipality by rectifying the deed of sale of the Governors' Palace to the municipality.

Earliest Recorded Date of Construction: 1/1/1350

Architectural Period/Style: Genoise

Type of Building e.g. Country House, Stately Home, Manor:
Governor house


Interesting Historical Facts or Connections:
Read description


Main Material of Construction: Stone

Private/Public Access: Public access

Rating:

Additional Dates of Construction: Not listed

Architect (if known): Not listed

Landscape Designer (if known): Not listed

Listed Building Status (if applicable): Not listed

Admission Fee (if applicable): Not Listed

Opening Hours (if applicable): Not listed

Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Tell us about your visit with any details of interest about the property. Please supply at least one original photograph from a different aspect taken on your current visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pre-Victorian Historic Homes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.