St. Mary's Monastery (Former) - Annapolis, MD
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
N 38° 58.506 W 076° 29.268
18S E 371120 N 4315066
Quick Description: The monastery was present here 1859 and was used for missionaries from across the US and Canada.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 6/21/2021 7:16:26 AM
Waymark Code: WM14E1C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 1

Long Description:
The plaque says, "Church and surrounding buildings are on land once owned by Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737 – 1832) only Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and last signer to die. At rear is Carroll Manor, built c.1730, his birthplace where he was married, lived during the Revolution and entertained George Washington. In it Catholics were welcome at frequent Mass in Carroll family chapel for decades when Maryland law forbade public Catholic worship.

About 1825 Carroll had a small mission church built on site of present old school. His granddaughters in 1853 conveyed the property to the Redemptorists, who opened a Novitiate in the house and founded St. Mary’s Parish. St. John Nepomucene Neumann (1811 – 1860) blessed cornerstone and original bell of current church, May 13, 1858. Adjoining Monastery, begun 1859, was long a major Redemptorist training center and base for extensive missionary work in eastern United States and Canada. Pastor here during the Civil War was Father Francis Xavier Seelos (1819 – 1867), whose cause for Canonization was introduced 1903.

Shrine in church honors one of three first copies
The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate of the Venerated in 1906 icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to come to America (1868).

In 1906 Charles Adams Zimmerman (1861 – 1916), while longtime Naval Academy Bandmaster and St. Mary’s organist, composed the Navy’s “Anchors Aweigh”, whose refrain opens echoing the melody of the ancient Latin Marian Hymn, “Salve Regina”."
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: St. Mary's Monastery

Address:
109 Duke of Gloucester St, Annapolis, MD 21401


Religious affiliation: Catholicism

Date founded/constructed: 1859

Status of Use: Converted to Other Use

Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Don.Morfe visited St. Mary's Monastery (Former) - Annapolis, MD 5/5/2022 Don.Morfe visited it
Searcher28 visited St. Mary's Monastery (Former) - Annapolis, MD 8/21/2021 Searcher28 visited it
bluesnote visited St. Mary's Monastery (Former) - Annapolis, MD 6/22/2021 bluesnote visited it

View all visits/logs