Cité du château des Dames - Gosnay (Pas-de-Calais), France, ID=1360-091
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RakeInTheCache
N 50° 30.551 E 002° 34.652
31U E 470044 N 5595331
Quick Description: [FR] Le 25 octobre 1899, la Compagnie des mines de Bruay achète le site aux héritiers de Taffin pour y installer la cité ouvrière n° 17. [EN] In 1899, the Bruay Mining Company bought this site from the Taffin heirs to set up the N°7 company town.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/18/2021 10:47:18 AM
Waymark Code: WM14DNG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 0

Long Description:
[FR] Ce lieu fantomatique est unique à bien des égards. Tout d’abord, parce qu’il est le seul témoignage de fondations cartusiennes mixtes en milieu rural (le même village abrite la chartreuse d’hommes du Val-Saint-Esprit). Puis en raison de l’histoire de l’établissement. Racheté par la Compagnie des mines de Bruay à la fin du XIXe siècle, le monastère a connu d’importantes transformations, qui expliquent la superposition d’éléments architecturaux très disparates.

En 1305, Thierry d’Hireçon, conseiller de la comtesse Mahaut d’Artois, achète la seigneurie de Gosnay. Sur ces terres, il construit un château fort puis, en 1320, l’hôpital Saint-Jean-l’Évangéliste qui accueille les povres femmes gisans d’enfants et les povres débiles et impotens de Gosnay et des villages voisins.

En 1792, la Révolution chasse les religieuses. La dernière prieure, Albertine Briois, est guillotinée le 27 juin 1794 et la chartreuse est confisquée, puis vendue le 18 pluviôse an II (7 février 1794) à Jean-Baptiste Taffin, procureur-syndic du district.

Celui-ci réalise d’importants travaux dans ce qu’il surnomme son "château des petits ébats". Après avoir rasé l’église gothique primitive, il aménage les lieux pour y établir une ferme.

Le 25 octobre 1899, la Compagnie des mines de Bruay achète le site aux héritiers de Taffin pour y installer la cité ouvrière n° 17, nommée "château des Dames". Certains bâtiments, dont les dépendances agricoles, sont transformés en corons typiques de l’industrie minière.

Durant de nombreuses années, le site tombe dans l’oubli. En 1976, les Houillères du Pas-de-Calais envisagent de détruire la cité qui est sauvée in extremis grâce à la mobilisation populaire et à l’appui d’hommes politiques conscients de la valeur historique du lieu.

Un projet de réhabilitation a débuté en 2019 avec pour objectifs de redonner son éclat à ce site et le faire revivre.

[FR] This phantomesque site is unique in many ways. First, because it is the only example of a rural Carthusian foundation with both men and women (the same village was the site of the Carthusian male monestary Val-Saint-Esprit). Second, because of the history of the establishment. Purchased by the Bruay Mining Company at the end of the 20the century, the monestary underwent several modifications which explains the very diverse architectural styles.

In 1305, Thierry d’Hireçon, councilor to the Countess Mahaut of Artois, bought the Gosnay seigneury. He constructed a castle on the land and then, in 1320, the Hospital of Saint John the Evangelist which cared for poor of Gosnay and surrounding villages.

In 1792, the Revolution evicted the nuns. The last priory, Albertine Briois, was guiollotined on June 27, 1794 and the monistery was sold on the 18th pluviôse in the second year (February 7, 1794) to Jean-Baptiste Taffin, district magistrate.

He made many significant modifications to what he called his "castle of small beats". After having razed the primitive Gothic church, he established a farm there.

On October 25, 1899, the Bruay Mining Company bought the site from Taffin's heirs and established the Mining Community Number 17, named the "Castle of the Ladies". Certain buildings, such as the agricultural outbuildings, were transformed into mining row houses typical of the mining industry.

For several years, the site was forgotten. In 1976, the Houillères Mining Board planned to demolish the community but it was saved thanks to the mobilization of popular support and the help of politicians who were aware of the historic value of the place.

A rehabilitation project began in 2019 with the objective to bring back its former luster and bring it back to life.
Type: Site

Reference number: 1360-091

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.