Stafford Coat of Arms - Stoke, Staffordshire, UK.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Poole/Freeman
N 53° 00.499 W 002° 10.815
30U E 555002 N 5873510
Quick Description: The relief Stafford Coat of Arms are located on the façade of the North Stafford Hotel, Winton Square in Stoke.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/22/2021 10:15:59 AM
Waymark Code: WM145PG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 2

Long Description:
The relief Stafford Coat of Arms are located on the façade of the North Stafford Hotel, an impressive Grade II* listed building located in Winton Square in Stoke. (visit link)
The Elizabethan / Jacobean style North Stafford Hotel and Stoke Station opposite, are described by Pevsner as 'the finest piece of Victorian axial planning in the county'.

The coat of arms is a relief made of sandstone that measures 65cm diameter and is contained within a roundel on the second storey facade, the shield is charged with a castle, a lion and two Stafford Knots, the surround is ornate. (visit link)

Origin/meaning
These arms were recorded at the Visitation of 1614, certified circa 1953.
Stafford formerly had two castles, one belonging to the King, and the other to the Earls of Stafford. The royal castle, built by William the Conqueror, was held for the King by Robert de Stafford, ancestor of the first Earl of Stafford, who in 1348 built the second castle outside the town. Both castles no longer exist. The royal and feudal elements in Stafford's history a represented by the lion and Stafford knots. The arms carry on the motif of a thirteenth century seal bearing a castle between four lions. The Stafford Knot
The origin of the Stafford Knot is shrouded in the mists of antiquity, but it can be said that the somewhat barbaric tale of a certain sheriff who invented it to hang three criminals with one rope at the same time, may be dismissed as an effort of the imagination. The earliest authentic appearance of the Stafford Knot is on the seal in the British Museum, and this was the property of Joan, Lady of Wake, who died childless in 1443.
Her personal possessions passed to her nephew, Humphrey, Earl of Stafford, who adopted the Knot of Rope, henceforward to be known as the Stafford Knot, as his badge, probably just preceding his creation as Duke of Buckingham in 1444. That he did adopt it from his Aunt is undoubted and she, being a direct descendent of Hereward the Wake, may have had it handed down to her from past generations, through many unknown but doubtless - romantic circumstances.
The Duke of Buckingham and his descendants used this Stafford Knot as personal cognizance. It did not form part of their armorial bearings, which were personal to themselves, but it was their badge and they gave the knot of rope to their retainers and servants as a livery and means of recognition.
The townsmen of Stafford were leigemen of the Stafford family, and as such also used this badge. As the days of feudalism passed and individual and civic liberties grew, it was gradually adopted by the Citizens, Freemen and Burgesses until ultimately it was included in the borough coat of arms.
Source: (visit link) (visit link)
Your impression of the sculpture?:

Date Sculpture was opened for vewing?: 1/1/1847

Where is this sculpture?:
Winton Square, Stoke, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK.


Website for sculpture?: Not listed

Sculptors Name: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1. Provide a tasteful picture of the sculpture, with another point of view from the original(no pictures of GPSr or yourself).

2. Provide your thoughts on the sculpture and your impression of it.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relief Art Sculptures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Mike_bjm visited Stafford Coat of Arms - Stoke, Staffordshire, UK. 7/4/2017 Mike_bjm visited it