Kirche St. Maria und Nikolaus des Klosters Arnstein - Obernhof - RLP - Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 50° 18.619 E 007° 51.081
32U E 418211 N 5573765
Quick Description: Kirche St. Maria und Nikolaus in Obernhof
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 4/5/2021 6:10:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM1434H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
Views: 9

Long Description:
DE:
Der große Barockaltar von 1760 ist das Werk eines unbekannten Künstlers. Er ist aus Holz gearbeitet; nur der Tabernakel und der Altartisch sind aus buntem Marmor. Mittelpunkt des Altars war ursprünglich eine Mariendarstellung, die verschollen ist. Im 19. Jahrhundert wurde sie durch die Kopie eines Gemäldes des Koblenzer Malers Caspar Friedrich Heising ersetzt. An deren Stelle trat 1924 ein großes Herz-Jesu-Relief, das der Aachener Bildhauer Lambert Piedboeuf schuf. Vom selben Künstler sind die Posaunenengel über dem Relief, die der Welt das Königtum Christi verkünden sollen. 1971 wurde der Altar restauriert.
Ähnlich wertvoll wie der barocke Hauptaltar ist die Rokokokanzel aus dem Jahr 1757. Auf dem Kanzeldeckel zeigt sie das Symbol der heiligen Dreifaltigkeit, die Bundeslade mit den Gesetzestafeln und die Symbole der vier Evangelisten. An der Rückwand der Kanzel ist wie auch über dem Westchor das Arnsteiner Wappen angebracht.
Aus: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 6. April 2021, 04:38 UTC)



Die Kirche St. Maria und Nikolaus geht zurück auf das von den Grafen von Arnstein 1139 gründete Prämonstratenserstift. Graf Ludwig III. von Arnstein übertrug seinen gesamten Besitz, ähnlich wie die Cappenberger in Cappenberg 17 Jahre zuvor, dem Prämonstratenserorden. Dem in der Folge eingerichteten Kloster trat er selber bei. An der exponierten Stelle auf dem Felsgrad zwischen der Lahn und dem Dörsbach hatte sich vor dem Kloster die Burg der Grafen von Arnstein befunden. 1145 wurde das Kloster reichsunmittelbar. Nach der Säkularisation des Klosters 1803 machte man die Kirche 1814 zur Pfarrkirche des 3 Kilometer entfernten Ortes Seelbach. In der alten Prämonstratenserabtei leben und arbeiten seit 1919 Ordensleute von den Heiligsten Herzen (Ordensgemeinschaft von den Heiligsten Herzen Jesu und Mariens und der ewigen Anbetung des Allerheiligsten Altarsakramentes). Der Konvent betreut die seit 1924 bestehende Arnsteiner Herz-Jesu-Wallfahrt und die in Arnstein eingerichtete Jugendbegegnungsstätte. Aus der romanischen Zeit des Klostergebäudes hat sich der Kapitelsaal erhalten, in dem noch Reste der ehemaligen Burg vermutet werden.

Die Klosterkirche wurde 1208 geweiht. Der westliche, romanische Teil der Kirche – eine dreischiffige Pfeilerbasilika – dürfte ab 1140 entstanden sein: Westchor mit Turmgeschossen um 1140 bis 1160, Langhaus um 1160 bis 1180, Vollendung der Westtürme, östliches Querhaus mit Chor und Seitenkapelle um 1180 bis 1208. Die östliche Erweiterung der Kirche mit Chor, zwei Türmen und Vierung sowie die Neueinwölbung des Langhauses erfolgten ab 1359 in gotischen Formen. Im ersten Viertel des 18. Jahrhunderts wurden die vier Türme restauriert und im zweiten Viertel des 18. Jahrhunderts die Rokokoausstattung der Klosterkirche eingebracht. Mit dem weitgehenden Abriss der Klostergebäude nach 1814 gingen auch die Querhäuser verloren, die aber von 1884 bis 1887 wiedererrichtet wurden. Die Farbigkeit des Innen- und Außenbaus rekonstruiert den Zustand des 14. Jahrhunderts und geht auf die 1960er Jahre zurück. Bemerkenswert sind die erhaltenen romanischen Schmuckfußböden im Mittelschiff und in der Marienkapelle. Was die ehemalige Klosterkirche aber vor allem auszeichnet, formulierte das Denkmalinventar von 1907 mit unverhohlenem Pathos: „Wenige Bilder in dem an Schönheit so reichen Lahntal können sich mit dem Eindruck messen, den die stolze, viertürmige Abteikirche macht, wenn sie, aus dem üppigen Grün des umgebenden Buchenwaldes hervortauchend, sich dem Blick entgegenstellt.“
Aus: „Kloster Arnstein im Lahntal”. In: KuLaDig, Kultur.Landschaft.Digital. URL: (visit link) (Abgerufen: 5. April 2021)



EN:
"The large baroque altar from 1760 is the work of an unknown artist. It is made of wood; only the tabernacle and the altar table are made of colored marble. The center of the altar was originally a representation of the Virgin Mary, which has been lost. In the 19th century it was replaced by a copy of a painting by the Koblenz painter Caspar Friedrich Heising. In its place was a large Sacred Heart relief created by the Aachen sculptor Lambert Piedboeuf in 1924. The trumpet angels above the relief are by the same artist and are supposed to announce the kingship of Christ to the world. In 1971 the altar was restored.
The rococo pulpit from 1757 is just as valuable as the baroque main altar. On the pulpit lid it shows the symbol of the Holy Trinity, the ark with the tablets of the law and the symbols of the four evangelists. The Arnstein coat of arms is attached to the rear wall of the pulpit, as is the west choir."

---

"The church of St. Maria and Nikolaus goes back to the Premonstratensian monastery founded by the Counts of Arnstein in 1139. Count Ludwig III. von Arnstein transferred his entire property to the Premonstratensian order, similar to the Cappenberg family in Cappenberg 17 years earlier. He himself joined the monastery that was subsequently established. The castle of the Counts of Arnstein was located in front of the monastery at the exposed point on the ridge between the Lahn and the Dörsbach. In 1145 the monastery became imperial. After the secularization of the monastery in 1803, the church was made the parish church of the village of Seelbach, 3 kilometers away, in 1814. Religious of the Sacred Hearts have lived and worked in the old Premonstratensian Abbey since 1919. The convent looks after the Arnstein Sacred Heart Pilgrimage, which has existed since 1924, and the youth meeting place set up in Arnstein. The chapter house has been preserved from the Romanesque period of the monastery building, in which remains of the former castle are suspected.

The monastery church was consecrated in 1208. The western, Romanesque part of the church - a three-aisled pillar basilica - is likely to have been built from 1140: west choir with tower floors around 1140 to 1160, nave around 1160 to 1180, completion of the west towers, eastern transept with choir and side chapel around 1180 to 1208. The eastern extension the church with choir, two towers and crossing as well as the new vaulting of the nave were made from 1359 in Gothic forms. In the first quarter of the 18th century the four towers were restored and in the second quarter of the 18th century the rococo furnishings of the monastery church were added. With the extensive demolition of the monastery buildings after 1814, the transepts were also lost, but they were rebuilt from 1884 to 1887. The color of the interior and exterior reconstructs the state of the 14th century and goes back to the 1960s. The preserved Romanesque decorative floors in the central nave and in the Marienkapelle are remarkable. What especially distinguishes the former monastery church, however, was formulated in the inventory of monuments from 1907 with undisguised pathos: “Few pictures in the Lahn valley, which is so rich in beauty, can compete with the impression that the proud, four-towered abbey church makes when it is out of the lush greenery emerging from the surrounding beech forest, facing the gaze. "
Approximate age of artefact (Year): 1757 and 1760

Times available for viewing: always

Entrance fee (if applicable), local currency: free

Relevant website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark, and write something about your visit.
 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wooden Church Artefacts
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
CADS11 visited Kirche St. Maria und Nikolaus des Klosters Arnstein - Obernhof - RLP - Germany 4/5/2021 CADS11 visited it